How does the VPI Aries II stand up to current mid priced tables?

I've always loved the elegant look of the Aries but never owned one. Well I have scratched that itch and purchased one right here on Agon and it's en route right now. Seems to be pretty stock with the 10.5 arm and a possible motor upgrade, excellent condition. Has this turntable aged well? All thoughts are welcome.

128x128ozzy62

Nice table Imo. I like vpi. Add the speed control if you want. I'd be glad to own one

Congratulations @ozzy62, nice table!

I have an Aries 1, and the only difference between the 1 and 2 is in the platter and its bearing. The 1 is fitted with a 1" outer diameter, stainless steel bearing housing and threaded (for a reflex clamp) spindle. The platter is comprised of 1- a 7/8" thick bottom section of aluminum, with a sheet of cork-covered lead bonded to it’s underside; and 2- a 3/8" thick sheet of black Delrin bonded to its top, for mechanical impedance matching to the PVC of LP’s.

In the Aries 2, Harry Weisfeld switched from the aluminum/lead/Delrin "sandwich" platter to a solid frosted-acrylic platter (2" thick, I believe). He also dropped the "standard" bearing and went with an inverted bearing. VPI still uses inverted bearings in their current line-up, but Harry eventually decided the move to an acrylic platter was a mistake---a step back in terms of sound quality, and now use only metal platters (aluminum I believe, not stainless steel).

Some regular posters on the company’s forum site remain fans of the Aries 1/TNT-3 & 4 platter (all use the same aluminum/lead/Delrin platter described above), as well as the TNT-5 platter, which is a bottom section of 5/8" thick stainless steel (no lead) and a top section of 7/8" thick Delrin. But both platters use the standard 1" diameter bearing, so can’t be swapped for the inverted bearing of the Aries 2, whose housing has a larger outer diameter. But I believe a current VPI aluminum Classic platter can be used in place of the acrylic, as it too uses an inverted bearing

Then there are all the different versions of VPI motor pods, flywheels, and even a rim drive to replace the belt. As far as I know the Aries 1 & 2 had the same motor/pod, the motor itself the same Hurst used in the HW-19 table, and even the various iterations of the TNT.

As for the basic thrust of your post, that I can’t comment on. I’ve heard older tables like the Oracle Delphi in the same system as a TNT (it and the Aries are more alike than different), but that was a long time ago. There are now a lot of mid-priced tables available, all with their own sound it is said. You’re probably going to be hearing from owners of them ;-) .

Evidently VPI has unique ’twist the wire’ anti-skate method

excerpt

"There is no anti-skating control on JMW arms. VPI advises twisting the hookup wire to provide anti-skating."

from this review

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue10/vpiaries.htm

I like dangling weights myself, evidently others do as well

there is this, price very obtainable

check all details, end of description:

"If you have older scout/tonearm combo that has "silver" junction box, new mounting will be needed."

also from elusive disc

I use the blank side of this Hudson alignment disc to 'see' anti-skate, very accurate method.

You just spin the platter by hand while adjusting. 

Enjoy it.

If you get the itch, there's always the Sota/Phoenix speed control upgrade, 3d arm and mentioned Classic platter to add. I think you can just get the controller/tach since you have a current motor.

Antiskate is a never ending argument. I don't hear a difference on my Classic. Perhaps technically, the outer groove is wearing less along with the stylus, but I have other issues to obsess about.