Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

@kennyc 

I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the vdH Grails.  They seem to be grossly under-rated here and almost never mentioned.

A couple of years ago I auditioned the more complex SE against Nagra, Boulder 1008 and AR Ref 3 in my system for three weeks.

It was the best of them.  Nagra wasn't nearly tight enough.  Boulder way over-clinical, really unmoving and tiring to listen.  AR better than those.

But the vdH was an unbeatable combination of accuracy and musicality.  I guess it was voiced by AJ although I understand he didn't contribute much to the electronic design.  Long story short I bought it and haven't looked back.  This is my last phono amp.

Yes, the current design is a big advantage as no manual impedence matching is needed and it works equally well with any MC cart, although all mine are at the low output end.

@drbond I envy your dilemma - lovely turntable 

I heard the FM in a Vertere FM chain and it was compared to live music and I couldn’t tell the difference - astonishingly good 👍 

I was also deeply impressed with a Constellation. I was not as impressed with a Zanden set up nor the KSL set up - I found both a bit syrupy and soft.

I heard the previous Whest reference and it is exceptional at hanging things in space and time. A new one is coming out this year - speak to James Henriot who makes them. It’s some way off ur price ceiling - around £10k but I’m sure you’ll go for performance so it’s worth a whirl. 
i would hope that with your demands dealers will happily lend you a component for a few weeks to decide properly - I hope you get a good one .

There's review for the Gokd Note PH-1000 Phono Stage on HiFi Pig magazine.

Read the review here: https://www.hifipig.com/gold-note-ph1000-phonostage/#more-146474

Have never heard this unit but have their smaller PH-10 and matching PSU-10 and works and sounds great.
https://www.hifipig.com/gold-note-ph1000-phonostage/#more-146474

@clearthinker 

@lohanimal 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the various phono stages that you've heard. 

I'll have to look more closely at Constellation. . . I imagine it would be quite similar to the CH Precision. 

The only problem with FM Acoustics 122 Mk2 phono is it has a max gain of 56db only. While it goes well with its own high gain preamps, it can sound like lacking life and vigour through a regular preamp with 12-18db gain. It is not its true sound, but simply the gain structure issue. I have heard it doing that multiple times when paired with non FM preamps.