How Electricity Actually Works

In November of last year I posted a Vertasium YT vid titled "The Big Misconception About Electricity".  Well it caused quite a stir and like an arachnid had many legs many of which attempted to draw A'gonrs into the poison fangs!

Well, here is the follow-up to that original vid which caused quite a stir in the "intellectual" community as well.

Vertasium "How Electricity Actually Works".

This does have implications for our audio cabling...

Regards,

barts 

128x128barts

I thought I knew something but learned I only believed what I was taught that got the job done but not in anyway how it was actually happening. The field, that makes complete sense as I have read some great books and watched some excellent videos on the the subject. I still believe there is far too much snake oil in the cable industry and will continue to make my own cheap great cables from designs I have learned directly from some dang fine audio engineers or well accepted designs easy enough to find with a simple search.

I will also look at some of the higher end cables a bit differently now and understand some just want the best they can find(in reality or perceived reality) and will spend what it takes, even if there are minuscule differences to be gained, or not. I have spent $15k on coilovers(shocks and springs combined), $10k on brakes, $5k on a differential.....when 20% of those costs would of netted 95%, or higher of the same results.

Thanks for posting the video, most fun thing I have watched in quite some time:)

Rick

I’ve been in the electrical field since 1979 dealing with controls and power distribution. Do I need to replace all my Fluke test epuipment?🤓

This does have implications for our audio cabling...

What implication would that be?

Most obvious is why the dielectric, insulation, used to cover the bare conductor on ICs and speaker cables can effect the sound. Example Teflon vs cheap PVC. 

Going even deeper it may also explain why the geometry build of a cable can have an impact on the sound of a cable.  Move the discussion from the signal energy traveling in the conductor  to traveling outside the conductor through the dielectric  in the form of an EM, electromagnetic, wave traveling in one direction from the source to the load at near the speed of light in a vacuum. Note the EM wave is not confined in the dielectric... It extends beyond the insulation. What effect does cable geometry have on the signal EM wave?  What effect does shielding have on the signal EM wave?

Oops! "Preamp on top of the power amp." Although from a heat dissipation standpoint I guess that could make sense, but I have certainly never seen them stacked that way. 🙄