SLOT LOADING CD MECHANISMS - DO THE DAMAGE CD'S?

Of recent, I have been considering the purchase of a new CD transport (no DAC). There are several that have caught my attention; - - one in particular is made by AUDIOLAB. The one factor that leaves me "hanging", conceptually speaking, is the fact that AUDIOLAB exclusively uses "slot loading" CD mechanisms.
I have owned a couple of good quality CD players employing this type mechanism, and in both cases, eventually discovered marring to the playing surface of the CD. I am fanatic about proper preservation of CD playing surfaces. I certainly don’t want more CD’s ending up in the garbage can. (and I don’t like polishing, making a bad situation, worse !)

In turn, I have read many articles and customer reports complaining of the same issue. I consider AUDIOLAB products to be of a quality and performance level that leaves me somewhat dumbfounded as to why they would employ the use of a questionable mechanism that has so many historic issues.
So, what have they done that would be any different than other companies using this concept? I can’t imagine that they would invest the R&D money to develop their own proprietary mechanism.
Anyone out there that can validify the credibility (or lack of) AUDIOLAB’S use of "slot loading ?. Direct experience would help the most.
128x128axpert

I bought an Audiolab 6000cdt 6 months ago and a couple of months ago noticed that it is lightly scratching my cds,  I really like the sound of this transport and after reading many comments about it and similarly priced transports belive that it is best in its price range. I'm not going to keep the Audiolab, I'm in contact with the company that I bought it from, listenup on line, waiting to hear what they can do for me. After reading reviews and user comments I bought a Jays Audio cdt2 mk3 but so far prefer the sound of the Audiolab, the Audiolab has a fuller richer sound. Jays says it needs 400 hours of burn in so thats what I'm doing now.

If you use logic, any slot loader has the potential to cause tiny faint scratches in the cd surface. There is friction, albeit minor, involved in the loading process. Any dirt, however minute, on either the disc or lips of the transport opening will cause scratches over time. It is virtually impossible with a tray or top load design. The issue, if one exists, is not exclusive to an Audiolab product. I own the Cyrus cdt and I’m sure the same issue could ocurr over time, as it also  incorporates  a slot loading mechanism.

@axpert Project has a DS2 transport that is around 8 to 900 bucks.  Much cheaper than their RS2 transport.  The DS2 is a slot loader.  I've both Project transports.  Personally, I like the functionality and build of the DS2 over the much acclaimed RS2.  So the RS2 slot loader is a touch more than the Audiolabs.  

Interesting thread I just happened to see a couple days ago, as I just took delivery of an Audiolab 6000CDT. Trying to stay within a certain price point, it was really between the Audiolab and a Pro-Ject transport, also slot loading. To be honest, that concerned me when I was researching what to buy, but decided to move forward regardless based on the reviews I read.

One thing is certain, this transport sounds very very good, and along with my Denafrips DAC, a very nice combination.

For years I used CD’s in my slot loading car players, and really didn’t think twice about it, so……

Right now I’m thrilled with this transport for the $. I can always buy CD cleaner/polisher if it becomes an issue in terms of doing any real damage, but I have a feeling it won’t be a problem regardless.

I found out whats the problem. Its not that slot mechanism is making scratches...entrance is very narrow, so if CD is tilted a bit down when going in, the lower part of the entrance scratches it...im thinking to add some thin tape on lower part of the entrance or I’ll just have to be more careful (tilt cd a bit upwards when inserting). Hope I helped...enjoy your 6000cdt :))