How to choose a cartridge?

Aside from compliance, and whether one has enough gain and loading options, how does one choose a cartirdge?

There are a few shops that have one or two brands, and other shops that have other brands… etc.

It is a either visiting a lot of shops, or using some other method.

I have seen a few plots of response and 2nd, 3rd harmonics for a limited number of carts.

The other method is scouring the reviews and digest the colourful wording used to describe the carts.

As an example I am considering:

• SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star
  • AT ART9xi
  • Benz Micro LP S
  • Hana ML
  • and some others…

Does one just flip a coin?

128x128holmz

I think its important to get a cartridge that works well with the tone arm it will be mounted to. What are people using with that arm?? This is a good place to start.

I just got a new (used) arm which is adjustable from ~11.5 to 19 grams of equivalent mass. So I can use all but the highest compliance carts.

If you visit the link I have made available for Juergen

I am trying to find the Juergen link.

You cannot go wrong with the Hana or the Ortofon 2m’s, in particular, the 2m Bronze.

I own both the Hana el and 2m Bronze, for the money they are two fantastic cartridges.... the 2m Bronze cartridge can accept the 2m black stylus for future upgrade. 

Stylus shape is also important. I've found that fine line generally dig deeper and get more subtleties. Of course they are generally more expensive

The Link is to one of the many available Juergen's reviews of Cartridges, it has reasonable description to help see where the Cart's share and differ in the performance on offer.

Note: this is not a Cart' recommendation.