Do you build anything for your high fidelity system? If so, what do you make?

After some self assessment and introspection on my own high fidelity habits I discovered that I build or make things for my stereo/audio room. Some examples of these things are;

1 Tore out carpeting/padding/floor tiles in the addition to my house (audio room) and painted the cement floor with epoxy paint and clear coat. Placed out a Turkish area rug.

2 Made cherry wood speaker stands on wheels.

3 Had made custom speaker covers and stereo stand covers for when I am not listening to audio to keep away dust. Thanks to my seamstress....

4 Custom made Paduak wood cover (with legs) with two low speed exhaust fans for my tube amp

So curiosity got the best of me. Have you made anything for you stereo system or room? If so what did you make and why?

128x1282psyop

Finished the build on my 12" Tannoy speakers (enclosures are 150 liters nearly 2" thick MDF, @ 192 lbs. each, built custom crossovers using Mundorf capacitors, Alpha Core inductors and Dueland resistors, rebuilt my Garrard 401 turntable, built my plinth, and installed a Dynavector tonearm.

I also built many interconnects and power cables over the years. If I had to buy this stuff new and and/or already built, my system wouldn't be any near as good sounding as it is. And, I enjoyed myself in the process.

Regards,

Dan

i build a lot of wires--speaker cables, interconnects, etc. 

I have the stuff on the way to rebuild the crossovers on my 4 way speakers.

I am building a set of outriggers for the same speakers.

I installed a dedicated 240V 30 amp circuit for my system.

I built custom low mass speaker binding posts from all non-metal parts except the center conductor.

I'm thinking of building a custom wood chassis for my amp.  But I'm less into woodwork and more into metalwork nowdays.

Ask me about my other hobbies, I build a lot of stuff for them.  I have a metalworking machine shop in my garage. 

Jerry

My son and I built a record storage shelf with Zebrawood top. My son did all the welding on the metal framing. 

DIY air bearing turntable - design and build from ground up.

DIY air bearing tonearm - design and build from ground up. Just installed this weekend!!!!!

DIY phono pre - implemented design with ultra components, like vacuum capacitors.

DIY amps - complement design with ultra components.

DIY central power supply - design and build from ground up.

Designed and helped build listening room.

Heavily modified modern Quads.

Cartridges unmodified.

@terry9  Would be interested in your tonearm design, have a turntable that could use one...as well as a deck for the table itself.  Since I work with locust (robinia), I've lots of 'drop' planks as thick as one could care to apply....

Hard and dense, laughs at carbide.... ;)

DIY TT switch for 3 tables, the 3rd needs an 'input'...allows for RIAA (or not) and anything else I'd care to run 'in' or 'out to'...

DIY 'stand' for all; two 1" thick slabs of polished stone supported by a heavy pine frame.  Takes 2 to think of moving it...bumping it will hurt you before either TT notices it.

Anything that can rack mount is, and is on the above as well.

Have built speaker cabs of various shapes for the 'typical' sort of drivers.  Most of that takes a back-seat to the DIY Walsh drivers I play about with for the last 15 years on and off....

Some berserk concepts of a surround AMT array with a distributed sub array to go along with a surround Walsh array is pending, but will await moving lock, stock, and everything else to a new home in a vaguely sub-rural location.  That in itself will have 2 spaces open to treatments as desired.

One of which has the SAF issue, but as long as it has 'plug & play' simplicity, she's good to go with it. ;)

All of the above is dependent on the 'spare time' that I've in limited quantity, but I'll manage....*G*