Avoiding US dealer markups

Looking at a phono stage by a UK manufacturer. The US authorized dealer monopolist seems to mark up by ~30% from what I could buy this for locally. On a $2200 unit, that's not nothing. 

I am considering shipping it to a friend who is local and having them ship it to me, at a relatively small cost.

Seems like a logical approach. I could buy 25-50 LPs with the savings.

Am I missing something?

saulh

Depending on the gear needing to be imported it can make a lot of sense. In the case of the OP, perhaps not as the unit would be as blackdoghifi pointed out, but in the case of a cartridge, or cables, or furniture...that would be a different matter.

If the dealer is providing a service or benefit for you, they're worth it. In this case, easy to see dealer is providing value. Some non-US equipment may have switchable voltage on power supplies, so ok on this front, but then you have shipping costs, possible duty and warranty issues.

There are some manufacturers using different business models in that they sell direct, bypassing distributors and dealers.

I purchased the PRO-Ject pre box s2 when it first came out from A UK dealer for $299. The price here was $479. It had a wal wart  with multiple plug adaptors for whatever country it was being sold in. Shipping was only $20 some dollars. 

If you continue the journey in audio always deal with a good and reputable dealer, at the end of the day you will have won much more than the mark up.