Avoiding US dealer markups

Looking at a phono stage by a UK manufacturer. The US authorized dealer monopolist seems to mark up by ~30% from what I could buy this for locally. On a $2200 unit, that's not nothing. 

I am considering shipping it to a friend who is local and having them ship it to me, at a relatively small cost.

Seems like a logical approach. I could buy 25-50 LPs with the savings.

Am I missing something?

saulh

big boys and girls pay to play

grey market anything has serious pros and cons

The only time that workaround will work is with speakers. With the current shipping premiums that savings will not be what it used to be.

Foreign tonearms are okay to buy direct. But don't expect any after-purchase help from the U.S.A. importer. You're on your own!

Paying full price for a tonearm is worthwhile if you have a dealer---such as the late Brooks Berdan, or his son Brian (owner of Audio Element in Pasadena, California)---who charges full retail, but for that price includes expert mounting, aligning, adjusting, etc. And when you buy a cartridge from either (bought in the case of Brooks, who passed away years ago), the price includes not just mounting and fully aligning, but running in the cartridge for a number of hours---to relax its suspension---and then aligning again. Well worth paying full price for imo!

what are you missing?

if you have your friend in the UK buy it or even have it shipped there, they will pay the 20% VAT for Europe, which will negate any savings. the only way to avoid it is if it’s sold for export.

so do the math.

and every manufacturer has their own distribution rules and levels of enforcement. but it does not hurt to explore the possibilities....except it can put you sideways with the USA distributor. for every action there is a reaction.