Bookshelf speaker ideas....

I am looking for a nice set of bookshelf speakers and will have them on stands.
Want to do some serious enjoying of classical, jazz and soft rock music in my collection. Have a decent 55 wpc Onkyo receiver. Reading up on Polk RTi A3, Klipsch RB-81II and Energy RC10. Obviously, I am not looking to spend in three figures. Called a well regarded stereo store who doesn't do the "boutique" brands and claims there are speakers to be had for around $300 a pair that are "better than monitors".....any thoughts on all this? I am trying to sort this all out and it's hard to find stores that have a lot of brands to compare. Thanks!
moverbob
second hand B&W 602 S3's i have a pair and it opened my eyes to quality sound even with a crappy amp. they're pretty impressive.
I'm not sure of that but I love monitors. Always have and always will. For $300 you're going to get a better monitor than floorstander.

I agree with Ellrotts. Even non S3 DM602s were awesome speakers and I noticed two pairs for sale on Agon last night. I used to have a pair and absolutely loved them.
Moverbob,
What's your price limit? That will help us to give you recommendations.
There is so much to choose from, where to start? If you're dead set on bookshelf spks., you'll need quality stands. Min $100+. You could find floorstander/bookshelf's such as Paradigm's for well under your price range. If I was looking for a small bookshelf I would consider Energy XL-15's and Tannoy MX-1m's. Tannoy's would fall on the warmer side w/their newer model's, Fusion's, slightly more detailed. There really is a TON of choices. Older Mission spks. are very nice as well. B&W DM 302/303's etc, etc, ADS L400's. If you're considering a new spk., I thought the larger KEF bookshelf spk., (C300) was a very nice sounding spk. Retail $600. Perhaps Monitor Audio/PSB's as well. I wish you good hunting and try to hear my many as possibly. Be sure to buy a good stand as well. I use Plateau's.
Boston Acoustic A 25 $400...these are astonishing good...regardless of price....