5AR4 rectifier tube question

I am sort of shopping for one or more 5AR4s for a Cary SLP05 power supply because I’d like to have at least one spare and because I’d maybe like to roll two or three ad see if I can hear an improvement or vice versa. I make no claims of knowing much about the vacuum tube game; occasionally I get lucky & stumble on something that really works for me. As far as the 5AR4, I did a hit at Uncle Kevin’s site, and there were some that looked interesting (I am thinking of one in particular, it had a Japanese sounding name that started with a ’M’) but when I click on it, all I get is a picture of Uncle Kevin’s screaming face telling me "not to buy tubes" (later, when I finally took time to read, apparently his tube tester is down).

So I started doing hits on Ebay, and oh my gosh! I was inundated with choices and the variation in prices! Which do I stay away from and which should I be interested in? Would a 5AR4 from Bugera also be suitable for what I’d want to use it for? Could a rectifier tube provide a big sonic upgrade if I spent enough money on it? Can I make a sonic upgrade from what I believe (I haven’t opened up the power supply yet) is the stock EH 5AR4 without breaking the bank? I would be totally good with the $50.00 range and picking up 2 or 3 different ones to play with if those with experience thought I could improve the power supply in that range. If I had to I guess I could go more (the $100.00 range) but I probably wouldn’t be buying too many of them, and I was kind of HOPING not to go much over that.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the input; I always consider it part of my education.

immatthewj

The metal base sounds different than the first bakelite "fat base" or any later Mullard 5AR4/GZ34. I found, in the context of my application (a power supply for an Allnic H3000, where the rectifier is the only tube I roll), that the metal base from Holland (actually, a Philips/Miniwatt) has unbelievably good bass and more "punch" (without being in your face), but in my overall system, it doesn’t have finesse of my preferred tube-- the top octaves are simply not as open or airy.

The Mullards are a standard good old tube, known for good sound, reliable service and long life.

What you’ll usually find in the open market are "pulls"- used tubes that test good. Some of these rectifiers can apparently live almost forever. But finding true never used tubes from WWII and later era is a whole other thing. Andy has been a good source for that.

@immatthewj - did you ever look at that Dubstep Girl’s Massive 5AR shoot-out?

You will not typically find the WE tube at all. The GEC is available usually as a pull, and tres cher. I found a NIB, never used industrial version in Mumbai with one week shipping. I have a brown base too--branded as Brimar, with original box that I put some miles on. Is there a difference, yeah, but the black base I got from India  is fine and a "fresher" tube. 

The old WWII era double bottom getter RCA is supposed to be the bomb, and not at rarified prices, but it isn’t a straight equivalent to the 5AR4; I have a NIB one, but haven’t tried it.

I rolled, I found a good tube and for my system, I’m sticking with it. But I did go through the process, and have a bunch of back-ups, as well as the benefit of trying different things to optimize. Maybe swapping out rectifiers in some gear makes less of a difference, but for me, the rectifier roll was the most important tube in the Allnic.

The factory tube was tizzy.

@immatthewj -

Five teeth = four notches?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't really see the notches from the pictures provided, am I missing something? 

poor noob being led down primrose path... yep, go for that metal base early dutch 5ar4 for a grand, oh, and pay up for a 4 notch plate blackburn as a back-up, but gotta be f32 in acid lettering...

here is the link to the head-fi rectifier shoot out ... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/ ... note the exclusive use of headphones and woo headphone amps, which can roll entirely different rectifiers (not just 5ar4’s), so these are not exactly circuits designed to use the strongest spec 5ar4 over 5u4, 5r4 and others of significantly lower spec...

wonderful what the old hands do to the new guy... sometimes we should check whether our own egos do a disservice to others new to the hobby here seeking guidance - well maybe our op is made of money... by the way there is a thread here on $20,000 cables... 😂

@jjss49 jjss49

"sometimes our own egos do a disservice to others seeking guidance"

Really? I mean, I gave my honest opinion based on my experience, in a context limited to a particular component and qualified it by the voicing of the overall system. 

What did I do wrong, in your estimation? That it cost money to get a true NOS tube as opposed to a pull? 

it’s all good @whart, i probably shouldn't have gotten snippy

we are all just sharing our experiences and observations... we will let the noob sort it out...