Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

The ERA-1s do it all. I have them for opens and Kennertons Magni s for closed backs. Very similar (neutral) sound signatures.

I’m sorry for not mentioning this but I am looking for a pair of open backed headphones. My understanding of the differences between the two may be mistaken but when I’ve had the chance to hear headphones at the dealer, I’ve preferred the open to the closed.

@big_greg so are you saying bass is noticeably lacking in the Sennheiser's? For the treble region, which would you say is easier to listen to?

The Sennheisers are not lacking in bass, they are pretty balanced from top to bottom. Both do well in the treble region. The best way I can describe my experience between the two is that the Sennheiser are more realistic and the Focals are more fun. Which one I would pick would vary based on my mood.

I typically switch between my Sennheiser HD800s and my Focal Utopia’s. They are both great headphones. But the Focal are a lot easier to drive. The Sennheiser did not not sound as well balanced and natural until I put about $15K of outstanding electronics with a tremendous tube amp (a 300B Woo headphone amp) behind it.

I definitely recommend the Focal… easy to drive, great resolution and bass… even tonal balance. If you have got the power and natural organic electronics… then the Sennheiser (I would not count on a tap on a preamp… typically you need a dedicated head amp to drive a great headphone like the Sennheiser HD800.

I listen to my sennheiser 800s more now… but Focals before my I bought my tubed Woo amp.. with $2K of 300B tubes.

Here's the technical data for my amp but I'm not sure where the headphone plug fits into this;

Technical data (according to manufacturer):
Output power: 2 x 250W/8Ω, 2 x 450W/4Ω, 2 x 800W/2Ω
Total harmonic distortion: <0,02%
S/N ratio: >90dB (1W/8Ω)
Frequency response: 0,2Hz-500kHz (-3dB)
Input impedance: 10kΩ
Dimensions: 570 x 440 x 230mm (amp) + 2 x 460 x 320 x 160mm (power supplies)
Weight: 47kg (amp) + 2 x 32kg (power suppli