Fozgometer V2

I've been interested in a fozgometer for some time now. I'd like one to help me understand crosstalk and channel separation, so I've been aiming to pick one up. Stopped by a dealer today, was told they're essentially "for people who want to waste money" and "why would you need one of those when you can put on a modern pop mono record" to measure Azimuth. I was told this tool isn't any more more correct or exacting than your ears, but they've never used a Fozgometer (even though they have access to them. I've tried this particular dealer multiple times and just always seem to leave with a bad taste in my mouth and always ask myself why I torture myself with even visiting them.

What are some general thoughts on the Fozgometer V1 or even V2? I don't own an oscilloscope nor do a have local hifi enthusiasts to help educate me. My current setup for cartridge alignment is the mirrored version that's available for $15. I'm looking to get more precision out of my alignment and figured the Fozgometer was a tool to not only measure, but to corroborate what I'm hearing. Any advice?

128x128j-wall

In the latest edition of Stereophile Fremer reviews the updated version.  He concludes that it is a useful tool that gives results equal to using an oscilloscope, but easier.

j-wall

What are some general thoughts on the Fozgometer V1 or even V2? I don't own an oscilloscope nor do a have local hifi enthusiasts to help educate me.

You can use your PC as an oscilloscope along with something like the Hantek 6004.

@lewm have you used the Fozgometer? Do you have any opinion on it? I did some searching and found a few things, but they were very old threads, so I wasn't sure if the information was still relevant. I'm open to other options as well. I just want to have high accuracy and understand the relationship from good enough to as close to perfect as possible. 

@onhwy61 thanks I just got my copy last week. I've been checking the analog planet website once a week for a few months waiting for him to release the article. 

@cleeds  I'll check into this thank you. 

j-wall, No, I have never used a Fozgometer.  But I have formed some impressions by reading the several discussions of it here.  For one thing, it seems odd to me that many report it does not work correctly unless you have "fresh" batteries.  The typical 9V battery is fairly robust and maintains a minimum of 9V for a long time, given a reasonable current draw.  Fresh ones right out of the container typically measure 9.2V to 9.4V in fact. So, why does the Foz go off with even slightly used batteries?  Maybe it draws too much current.  Second, based on the instructions for its use, I gather it works to equalize crosstalk, so that L leakage into R and R leakage into L values are equal, in other words.  There is nothing per se wrong with that, but in my direct experience adjusting azimuth by electrical methods (using a Signet Cartridge Analyzer and Shure test LP), you get better crosstalk numbers by seeking a setting that minimizes crosstalk on each side, without regard for whether the crosstalk db are equal to each other in both directions.  Moreover, sometimes when I have sought to equalize crosstalk, the cartridge has ended up so obviously askew with respect to the 90 degree azimuth setting that I feared damage to the suspension, cantilever, and stylus, not to mention to LPs.  Then more recently I read the articles by Korf on azimuth setting, and those convinced me that the best compromise is to set the stylus tip so it sits squarely in the groove, by visual inspection, and accept that the electronic result may or may not be perfect.  I no longer attempt to set azimuth electronically (although I own all the test gear imaginable, save for a Foz, to do it).

I use the Fox 1 (same but uses batteries rather then plugged in).... Its made a very big difference for the better.....easy to use.....great results. Don’t forget the recommended LP for it.