Audiophiles on Audiogon.

During my time here, I have found some of you to be too opinionated - like your life depends upon what you think about audio gear. Holding on to one’s beliefs a bit too tightly is bad for the soul.

I was reading some content on the Ken Rockwell website, and then found an article entitled: "What is an audiophile?"

in the article, Ken says: Audiophiles are non-technical, non-musical kooks who imagine the darnedestly stupid things about audio equipment. Audiophiles are fun to watch; they’re just as confused at how audio equipment or music really works as primitive men like cargo cults are about airplanes.

Given my time on this forum and a few others, I have found his statements to be true. I mean, if you have an amplifier that costs say, $10,000, and you buy cables for $20,000, is that really going to improve the sound? (make the stereo image more accurate)

Or on the otherside, if you buy an amplifier for $1000 and then go buy the top of the line audioquest cables costing tens of thousands of dollars, then would the sound improve accordingly? After reading some of their literature, I cannot be sure they have an understanding of how electricrity works, much less the intricate details involving high-end audio systems.

And then we have power conditioning to consider. I have done extensive research online and it turns out that if your gear is really "high-end" it should already have a device inside that filters the incoming AC. Therefore, do you really need a power conditioner?

I learned about PS Audio products being spec-ed much higher than their measured performance. This is also true of the audio "power plants" that cost thousands of dollars. No really, tons of money to "regenerate" power with little to no sonic benefits.

Would love to hear what you guys think about these findings.

Oh, and high-end DACs?

This thing will outperform all your fancy gear.

jackhifiguy

All of us had their own experience and various knowledge...

For example i understand very well what poetry is in relation to linguistic and prose ....

Then i can admit easily if i am wrong in this matter why? Because i know it so well that i can understand the value of an opinion here easily....

In acoustic it is not so easy for me why?

Because here i dont have all the mathematical , the physical and neurophysiological knowledge at hand ... I have only my listenings experiments for 2 years and some basic understanding, then i can spot less easily my limitations about some technical point...

But i learned enough to be able to tune my room and the change was ASTOUNDING... It is why i insist about acoustic over gear upgrades...

Am i opinionated here?

No i know what i lived through...

The more we know about something or about a specialized field the easiest it is to spot our ignorance points and suspect and guess about our blind spot in this field ....

In the opposite way opinionated person are sometimes specialized mind and expert who know a lot about some aspects but who overestimated the narrow band of their expertise...For a hammer user all is nail...

We all die ignorant but we may die the heart and brain open...

For me the most interesting aspect of studying is RELATION between fields...

Not so much the field in itself ... I am more a mystic or poet than a scientist...But my field of interests are poetry, mathematic, music and linguistic and other i will not mention because i hate too much controversies..

Poet i am then, but i have no fear of equations... 😁😊

I am fascinated by acoustic because there is a poetry in sound called music and there is mathematic... These two extremes poetry and mathematic fascinate me...

The great geometer Alain Connes just exposed for the last years the deep link between primes numbers distribution, Hilbert Space non commutative operators, physics and music...

Remember that music modulo Pythagoean school is one of the main root of European science...

And music is probably at the origin of the language in evolution , and in language the poetic mode complement the prosaic mode so well that at the end i am very interested by exploring the relation between the right part of the brain and the left complementary part, linked to intuition and analysis, details focus or background focus attention, poetical and prosaic mode etc...

If you think that poetry and mathematic are world apart think twice they are Janus brothers...And Music is their mother...

Nobody here is opinionated, we just all know we’re right

Some “audiophiles” are technical to various degrees which can help a lot but it is certainly not required.

Hifis are all about technology. The most successful audiophiles tend to value and grasp technology correctly I find. They tend to make well informed buying decisions, set things up well, and get across the finish line the fastest.

You can “just trust your ears” and that may work out just fine eventually (or not) but you still have to make well informed buying decisions and set things up well for finicky ears to be happy. 

Aw Jack, now you went and hurt my feelings. 😢

Your name should be jerkhifiguy!

😭😭😭