Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

I have the previous version of the Sennheiser - the HD800 (no S) and Focal Elex (a notch below Clear).  I have also heard the Utopia, but not the Clear. 

The HD800s is supposed to be tuned a little "warmer" than the HD800, so will be a little different than what I describe about the HD800.

The HD800 is more of a "studio" headphone, allowing you to hear everything and some find it leans a little more towards the treble region and doesn't have a lot of bass.  The Focal is warmer and will be punchier in the bass. 

I think the HD800s are fantastic and they are super comfortable.  I also like the Focals, but find them to sound somewhat "artificial".  I'm not sure I have the words to explain it exactly, they sound cool, but somehow not as "real" as the HD800s.  I suggest you listen to both if you can.  They are different animals. 

Also pay attention to how they feel on your head.  Comfort is a huge consideration, at least for me, when it comes to headphones.

While I would agree the Sennheiser HD800s are, aesthetically speaking, a somewhat acquired taste, I find the sound to be superlative in my tube system.  However, I actually find them slightly LESS comfortable than the HD6xx line (for example), but it's not a major issue; they're just a bit heavier and have larger earpads.  Sorry I can't comment on the Focals.

@big_greg so are you saying bass is noticeably lacking in the Sennheiser's? For the treble region, which would you say is easier to listen to?

@tds3371 I'm not sure why you're saying the Sennheiser's are an acquired taste, could you please explain?

@goofyfoot  I'm talking looks alone. You mentioned "really liking the looks of the Focals and leaning in that direction."  I agree:  Focal cans are stylishly designed and aesthetically pleasing.  IMHO, the jury appears to be split on the looks of the Sennheiser HD800s.  Not inherently bad - just different from many others (including the Focals). In retrospect, it probably makes little difference, since headphones should be assessed primarily on how they feel and sound - NOT how they look.  As mentioned - if possible, try both before you buy.  You can't go wrong with either selection.