Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

Go with the Senheisser's, they have been making mainly headphones for decades. Focal makes speakers...big expensive ones too.

Matt M

@mattmiller what are the characteristic differences between the two? I was told the Focal have more bass but so far, that's as much as I know.

I have the previous version of the Sennheiser - the HD800 (no S) and Focal Elex (a notch below Clear).  I have also heard the Utopia, but not the Clear. 

The HD800s is supposed to be tuned a little "warmer" than the HD800, so will be a little different than what I describe about the HD800.

The HD800 is more of a "studio" headphone, allowing you to hear everything and some find it leans a little more towards the treble region and doesn't have a lot of bass.  The Focal is warmer and will be punchier in the bass. 

I think the HD800s are fantastic and they are super comfortable.  I also like the Focals, but find them to sound somewhat "artificial".  I'm not sure I have the words to explain it exactly, they sound cool, but somehow not as "real" as the HD800s.  I suggest you listen to both if you can.  They are different animals. 

Also pay attention to how they feel on your head.  Comfort is a huge consideration, at least for me, when it comes to headphones.