Who is your Favorite Historical Conductor?

For discussion purposes I am limiting this to

1) Wilhelm Furtwangler

2) Arturo Toscanini 

3) Bruno Walter

feel free to introduce others.  I will be arbitrary and cut off Conductors who worked after the death of Leonard Bernstein.

Furtwangler and Toscanini died just short of the onset of the stereo era.  They were however recorded with the best technology of the times, and the work of restoration technology of today has done wonders.  Walter recorded until 1962 but perhaps his best work was done in the mono era.

Walter was renowned for his “humanity” Furtwangler for his near mystical ability to rechannel German/Austrian music, and Toscanini for his finely chiseled intensity

mahler123

Wilhelm Furtwangler and Sir John Barbirolli, without a doubt. Following those, Klemperer, Walter, Toscanini, and Celibidache.

Fritz Reiner for some things, Leonard Bernstein and Adrian Boult for others. @mahler123: Is Georg Solti ineligible? Most of my fave Baroque conductors are still active.

@bdp24 Hey -- I love Sir Adrian. And Lenny is quickly rising up the charts for me, not the least because, via Qobuz & Idagio at least, his New York Phil recordings are sounding spacious, balanced and pretty wonderful..

I had in mind Conductors who worked in the pre stereo era when I made the thread, but that is a weird cut off point, because many of the greats of previous generations worked so long that they straddled both eras.  And I didn’t mean it to be comprehensive either, just thought those three would kick off a discussion.

I actually have seen Solti and Bernstein in concert, formative events in my listening history.  I remember seeing Barbirolli and Klemperer on TV.  So they all seem less remote than someone like Furtwangler or Mengelberg.

Interpret the rules as you wish!

The big Bruno Walter box has really boosted my love for him.  I remember those recordings being available on the execrable vinyl of Columbia Budget label.  Hearing them freshly scrubbed is a revelation.

we should also add Szell, Ormandy, and Koussevitsky to the list