Large room acoustics - thoughts on taming echo?

I just moved house and my new living room is 18x30 that extends in to an open kitchen with another 15' -- the ceiling are 18feet too!  

I've hardwood floors and relatively minimal furniture, a large rug in the seating area approximatley midway in the room with windows and french door along one of the long walls.  I've art and four foam/rockwool 2'x4' on the end wall as it lowers to the kitchen area.

I'm contemplating full height and width (18'x18') wood slats (1"x3" end on) with felt underlay on the front wall - behind the speakers both as a visual feature and in the hope of taming the echo/boominess of the room?

Will it work and/or is there something else I should do?  It's a living room and not a listening room and does need to be somewhat socially acceptable!

My system comprises Roon/NUC w LPS - Devialet D440 - Magico S5 - JL Audio F112

leeagc

Echo slap in corners (where walls meet ceiling) is a large contributor to the problem. I used to use roomtunes Corner traps in a loft with high ceilings. It was remarkable how just the (too small) triangles in the corners got rid of a large amount of reverb.

I would try that and the first reflection point as Russ mentioned and see how it sounds before installing more elaborate treatments.

GIK Acoustics art panels and Impression series panels in as many places as you can stand. 

GIK panels on the ceiling between listener and speakers. 

If I understand your room, it's 18'x45' with 18' high ceilings?  If so, consider bass traps at the intersection of the floor and end wall, based on the first few room modes in the AM Coustics calculator

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=18&w=45&h=18&ft=true&r60=0.6

With repainting and unpacking it's taken a while to get my system back up and running.  Now it is I'm hearing the full effects of what sounds like a large bathroom echo despite a large rug and furniture.  It looks like I'll need a more drastic approach?