Every day I see another turntable recommendation...

After digging into this topic, I am convinced now I need to go a bit higher on this first vinyl set up. I think all in, I am prepared at this point to go up to $5k, for the table alone, not including arm or cartridge.

But frankly, being on this forum is like drinking from an information firehose. I have learned a bunch and yet somehow, I am less convicted than before.

With that in mind, to narrow down the decision, I am want to restrict myself to things I can buy, hear and, if necessary, service locally. My local dealers stock, AMG, AVM, Basis, Clearaudio, Michell, Musichall, Pro-ject, Rega, VPI, so I am likely restricted to those brands. I am certain my view will change by the end of this thread.

saulh

Hey, I’m happy to have a MMF-9.3. But I admire those who can afford more expensive turntables. Good luck with your search!

Oh, btw I purchased my 9.3 without a cartridge from Hi Fi Heaven, brand new in the box just 4 months back for $1799 delivered. Not a bad starter table for that price. The tonearm is a true gem. 

From 1971 to now go Technics  DD turntables.....keep the rubber belts to  use on your trash bags.end of Story

For $5K you should be able to find a very good used table and arm, and possibly cartridge.

Look for something along the lines of a VPI TNT with good arm, or a Sota, for instance.

That's why djs swear by them....I have a Technics SL1350 with  Shure 100,bought 1973 payed  $479 plus tax NYC and it still works.The end

I am so old I am happy to invest in a state-of-the-art-in-my-childhood equipment, so I am at $600 all-in (Dual 1019 fully automatic German idler-drive turntable, Shure M55e AND Shure m97xe AND Shure V15 Type IV cartridge NOS in radio shack livery but state of the art nonetheless for its day and not-much-exceeded by today's equipment.)  Essentially I have three Shure V15 cartridges to run my turntable which changes out headshells in seconds (which these days are 3D printed on EBay.)   You may scoff but the Dual 1019 was THE dominant turntable for half a decade back in the day.