I'm trusting FedEx/ UPS less by the day

Many of the people working these high demand jobs in the shipping industry were already hating it before the pandemic and what not. Now I think many simply dont care one bit. Then you throw huge "fragile" and "do not drop" stickers on the box with a nice big beautiful picture advertisement of the component/ speaker on the outside box for everyone to see and its almost goading them to mess with it. 

Recently bought a subwoofer and  there was a hole/dent in the box  so deep it penetrated through the 2nd interior box. Obviously this was dropped from some distance. Not too mention the fact that the UPS driver just flopped the box off the dolly causing it to roll forward on to its other side. Right in front of me. No apology or anything,  just handed me the sign pad and acted like it was nothing. And that's how it's being treated in front of the customer I can't imagine what goes down in these warehouses. 

Ok end of rant 🙂

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

Just had to add my two cents to this one!

I've never had ANY problem with UPS or AMAZON deliveries and only one or two with USPS, which was quickly and effectively redressed. FedEx, on the other hand, is a raging disaster of a company, in my area anyway!

My brother-in-law recently had a pair of small floor-standers delivered by FedEx. He had home security camera video footage of the numbnut carrying the boxes (around 40 to 45 lbs. a piece) over his shoulders to the front porch and flip-dropping them to the ground at the front door. Fortunately, only the exterior box/packaging was damaged. He lodged a complaint with FedEx, nonetheless. Don't these bozos have dollies or hand-trucks in their delivery vans? Haven't they ever heard of the concept "don't work hard; work smart"?

My last 3 deliveries via FedEx were an 800-dollar laptop, 1200-dollar laptop and something considerably less expensive. The 800-dollar laptop was left or thrown in the brush at the foot of my 200-foot driveway. The 1200-dollar laptop was left on the ground in front of my neighbor's barn, directly across from my driveway, the evening before a snowstorm. My address is clearly marked by a metal pole with a big red number on it right at the foot of my driveway! The package of considerably less value was, similarly, dropped or thrown in the brush at the foot of my driveway.  Any one or all of these packages could easily have been seen and stolen by people driving by.

ALL of our UPS, Amazon and USPS deliveries are placed on our porch, out of the elements! On two occasions, when a UPS driver didn't want to risk driving up our rather steep driveway in the snow, s/he actually walked it up and placed it on our porch! I never thought of it at the time (shame on me!) but, if this happens again, I will do everything I can to find out who that person is and reward them with a generous tip!

Another horror story, this time courtesy of UPS.  I had a pair of monitor speakers that used a pair of nicely built stands made of plaster and lead bars.  I shipped both sets double-boxed and got a call from the buyer who asked me to report the stands damaged.  When I got them back the boxes looked somewhat damaged but I was shocked at the contents:  white powder and lead bars, no exaggeration.  I spent time trying to estimate at what height they were dropped to disintegrate those stands.

So my sub arrived today. I saw the UPS guy coming and went to the door. He already put it down before I got there. He was very gentle with it and then offered to bring it into the house.

The sub itself was fine. The seller shipped with the grill attached and the jostling broke off the plastic pegs. Not a major deal and I can work around it. It's on the seller, not the delivery.

Ups at least delivered day they said...although they did’nt put out for delivery just to keep you guessing... but said friday delivery...sure enough 7:15 pm...heard truck pull up.As far as the rolling packages...I heard truck pull up once and was taking delivery of amp/cd player $.Sure enough down the stairs it rolled right onto street.Man i was steamed running out there retrieve it quick!...The area delivery driver was a real arse with major tude.

Hello,

I have been shipping with FedEx and UPS for almost 20 years with high end car and home audio. I always use factory packing because these manufacturer companies got it right and have had many countless experiences compared to us as consumers. If the factory box doesn’t look up to par, then I order a new one. Let me tell you. In the past couple of years, FedEx and UPS has gotten sloppy. Don’t put this on customers, put it on the company’s that handle your shipping. I am currently involved with a claim that has lasted almost 4 Months and have spoken or emailed with several people. The come up with various excuses and have shady excuses even when you follow everything to a T. I shipped to a friend a McIntosh McIntosh MHT100 in mint condition that was even cleaned and gone over by George Meyers (an authorized McIntosh service center). It was packed in a authorized McIntosh box made for the unit where it is even screwed down to the bottom of the board for security and protection. Just like it is shown on the diagram of their inner floating box. Due to glass panels, McIntosh does an excellent job of describing how to ship and pack their items. Those who own McIntosh knows this to be true. Those who don’t, well, you don’t! As FedEx parks in front of my friends house to deliver the packages, (understand McIntosh boxes are quite large and really sometimes require 2 people to handle it due to its size. McIntosh emphasize this) my friend runs outside and said do you need any help. The driver said no, I got it as he drops the unit on its side. My friend opened the unit after the driver drove off and finds the glass shattered. Thank goodness George Meyers was able to sell me their last MHT100 glass as they are extremely on back order for at least 6-12 months. In this case, don’t blame the person who packed the item, blame the person and the company who mishandled the item. The unit was even packed in 3 boxes with arrows from FedEx that tells you how the item faces up and stickers all over that said fragile. All FedEx products. No excuses. In my case, don’t tell me or McIntosh about packing, I think they do a great job considering what they are packing. McIntosh owners know this. My final thoughts and I hope upper management of FedEx and UPS hears this! Since took money from me (to me this is considered steeling) if I was the consumer, I would not waist my money purchasing their insurance. To me it is a scam for them to make money. Both of these companies have very poor customer service and most likely will not honor your claim especially if it is a high dollar item. Take that same funding they charge you and freight ship it. You will be happy you did it. Hopefully this will help them change their views and provide training for their employees. I doubt it unless there profit drops. When I mean by freight, I mean put it in a pallet even if it is 40lbs and it is an electronic item, and ship it with a real freight trucking company. They do a much better job than UPS & FedEx. After a while I think they will get the point. I’ve heard stories of them kicking packages around like a soccer ball. FedEx sometimes hire subs to deliver. But at the end of the day what your eyes and camera see’s doesn’t deceive you. Trust what you see, not what you hear. As far as timeline goes, I’ve been doing this since the late 80’s and I’m sure McIntosh as well as other companies have been doing it longer. I like that McIntosh was smart enough to put instructions on how to repackage and ship their items. Genius! I am shipping freight with anything over 40lbs electronic because they can’t be trusted and believe me, don’t waste your time on insurance. It is a total scam to make money. Take that extra cash and pay for Global or freight shipping on a pallet.