When You Buy The Whole Album And Only Like One Song.

Over fifty years of buying music, I've bought scores of albums because of one track...only to find out that one track was the only one on the entire album that was listenable to me.

'Losalamitoslovesong'.... by Gene Harris on the 'Astralsignal' album is but one example.

128x128mitch4t
For those that suggested that I listen to the whole album, of course I tried that with every album, ultimately, there was only one cut on the album worth playable. 50 years ago, there was no streaming, and you had no choice but to buy the entire album...bummer. Even so, the single good track was worth the purchase, and I have no regrets. On many occasions I've bought the original LP in the beginning, and when the cd came out, I bought a cd copy of the album with full knowledge that only one cut on the album was worth listening to. If the rest of the album doesn't measure up, I'm certainly not going to force myself to listen to music that I don't enjoy, too much good music available to spend time on the stuff I don't like.

Does anybody buy full albums anymore? (I do) Streaming has made artists put out one song at a time. I buy full albums but I'm old school and don't stream. 

Nowadays there are no more surprises....today, you can audition the entire contents of an album before buying it. Prior to the internet, there was no way to audition an entire album. For those of us that bought a lot of music from the 70’s thru the end of the century, we had to roll the dice and cross our fingers when buying an album.  

The only albums I buy today are ones that are out of print or unavailable via streaming.

After fifty years of buying albums, really prefer the format. I have bought a few stinkers. But a good album is so much more than just a random collection of tunes.

I listen by far mostly to Qobuz. I will preview the first tune, if not hooked I’ll try the second… in no connection, I’ll move on. To me is like a symphony, a multiparty composition. A single tune… not worth it for me… I need substance.

@russ69 

"I buy full albums but I'm old school and don't stream". 

You're not alone, brother.  I too only buy "full albums"-- CDs in my case-- and then, only if I like every (or very nearly every) song. 

I grew up in the 60's/70's when an album was valued as a unified, discrete entity; I cannot imagine deriving any satisfaction from "play-lists". In fact, there have been posts on the forum in the past from converts to streaming who eventually gave it up.