Why do folks spend more on electronics than on speakers?

Hello, just curious on this subject. I have seen threads where folks ask for advice on how to allocate their budget and this topic comes up. I also see systems posted on various forums where folks have $10K-$20K in gear driving $2K-$5K in speakers and wonder why. I have traditionally been a speakers first person as that is where I have noticed the greatest differences. For those that allocate more on gear vs speakers what are your reasons? No judgement, I am just interested in hearing another point of view.

mrteeves

Just because a speaker has a high price tag, does not mean it will sound better. I heard a pair of 50k speakers.  Ran off the top of the line parasound mono blocks a top of the line srteamer, DAC.  I hate to guess the package cost.  I liked my cheapo system by far.  I have El Cheapo DYI speakers and have heard much cheaper systems that were awesome with 5k speakers on much lesser electronics.  Possibly component  matching mattered? Also music taste and ears are so different.

If that is true to the music system " speakers determined allover level what you can achieve",

Then I can talk the car like that "the wheels determined allover lever what the car can go". Is that a funny judge, right?

But the logic for above 2 sentences are exactly the same.

The true story is any parts matters as a system, and if you want  the system to be excellent, the key point is match, the second  point is match, the third point is still match.

@Ryder In general, I think your assessment is pretty accurate.

Regardless of cost or allocation of costs, I think, aside from one's overall budget, some important things to consider:  

1) Matching your speakers to the size, aesthetics, and overall function of the space they will be used - a dedicated audio room/space or to be shared with other interests of the home. What types of music and at what volume levels will they be required to perform.

2) Match the amp/preamp or integrated amp to the speaker's output, impedance and and expected performance.

3) Make sure all is approved and sanctioned by the boss (I'm lucky to have an understand ing boss) :-) ..........Jim

These "what is the most important component" threads put me in mind of the question, what is the most important your shoulder, your arm or your hand.  It takes a whole system to let you hug your wife.  Everything matters.

A system is a total of its parts and the end result hopefully would be positive but I am from the camp that speakers are the most important purchase and should be where the most money should be invested. I have had audiophiles over and one told me that he thought that I could put any components on them and they will sound good.