Technics SL 1200GR with What Cartridge???

I'm starting yet another thread on a similar topic, because I don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, and I haven't found the answer to my question in other threads.

OK... I'm considering returning to vinyl for some of my listening and I need a Cliff's Notes version of what cartridges I might want to use.  

I've had a Linn Sondek LP12 for years, which I've barely used... but... it's been in storage.  As I recall it was pretty "finicky" and required a lot of attention to perform it's best (which was/is good).  I don't have enough patience anymore to deal with that, and am planning on moving to a Technics SL 1200GR, because it seems simple to operate, gets good reviews and doesn't seem to require a lot of attention. 

It appears that you can get great sound quality from the 1200GR with a good cartridge.  I'm just not sure what might be optimal / best for the money.

I also do not want to go crazy with esoteric cartridges that cost a mint.  My budget is probably in a range of... say... $300-400 to maybe $800-900 (if the cartridge is noticeably better than the more modestly priced cartridges).  

My Linn cartridge is a MM cartridge, I think (Basik or K9) in an Itok arm.  

That's about it.  

I'm not really interested in considering a lot of alternatives either in a turntable, or cartridges.  

Any guidance in this context would be appreciated.

bassdude

RE:  Phono preamp - Haven't gotten that far yet.  I don't recall what I used with the Linn Sondek LP12. 

And... I don't know which pre's best synergize / mate with what cartridges.

So... open to suggestions there.

@recordbore

"I have a Technics 1200G. If you are looking for an easy to set up and maintain table that will last forever, I think Technics 1200GR is a great choice.

I have been using a Hana EL which is very nice. Just replaced it today with a Grado Sonata 3 which sounds very nice as well but is a bit more expensive than the Hana. ($450 vs $600) Little too early to make any firm comparisons!"

I’m a Grado fan... is the Sonata 3 difficult to set up (VTA, etc.)? That’s the only criticism I’ve seen. Other than that - everyone seems to love it.

Do you have the "high gain" or "low gain" version?  

What preamp are you using with it?

I’ve got the technics mk7, pretty similar to the GR, albeit less weight. Same tonearm, but platter is also less in weight compared to the GR. Otherwise, it is the same turntable at $699 less. The buttons feel a bit plastic, because they are plastic lol. If you can get over all the above, it is a nice turntable for the money. I have half a dozen headshells for it. One holds the hana el, another has the Shure mx97e. Additionally, I have installed a Grado 78c for playing 78’s, and a Grado MC+ for my mono recordings. It’s pretty nice to be able to change out a cartridge with ease, except having to readjust the VTF & VTA. otherwise, the platter is not warped, the tonearm bearings feel perfect, and the cueing lever drops the stylus very gently. I got it new for only $649 final cost, after bonus points and credit card cash back etc, so I cannot complain. I used the money I saved to invest in a KAB USA poly-glass platter mat in combination with a thin technics rubber mat. Also bought the isanoe feet and the little fwend end of record lifter (the 1200 DJ model). Using Atlas element phono cables and a Nordost blue heaven power cord. I would have opted for the GR, but I have 5 other turntables which include a Lenco, music hall, pro-jet, Avid ingenium, and a Thorens fully automatic. The technics was bought for the heck of it, as its my only direct drive, plus it’s fun to play records on it. Visually, it looks very cool with the stobe light etc. I prefer mine set to the red, but blue is selectable via dip switches under the platter. The dip switches also control the torque and start up speeds as well as selecting the 78 RPM feature, which is engaged by holding down the 33 & 45 rpm buttons simultaneously. Herb Reichert used a Hana el on the Technics GR with great results. I figured why not throw one on the MK7. I’m not bothered by the relatively cheaper build or the weight, as I’m not a DJ. It works and plays fine for my needs. The technics MK7 is being released in limited edition form with a choice of 7 colors. It will be available for purchase in July. 

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/technics-sl-1200m7l-turntable-anniversary-edition

Not to say that the SL1200mk7 Anniversary Edition is not a worthy turntable, but I think it is meant to be viewed as a decided step down from the G series, not only in price and build quality but also in features. For example, I believe it  uses the older conventional iron core motor from the SL1200 series, whereas the G series uses a new coreless motor.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I do think it is a good bang for buck.

I would add the AudioTechnica AT33SA to the list for consideration.

I run one on my 1200MK2 - very musical, tracks great, matches with the arm.