Why do folks spend more on electronics than on speakers?

Hello, just curious on this subject. I have seen threads where folks ask for advice on how to allocate their budget and this topic comes up. I also see systems posted on various forums where folks have $10K-$20K in gear driving $2K-$5K in speakers and wonder why. I have traditionally been a speakers first person as that is where I have noticed the greatest differences. For those that allocate more on gear vs speakers what are your reasons? No judgement, I am just interested in hearing another point of view.

mrteeves

@ghdprentice

I purchased focal 905 from a local store, they are focal dealer but they will not continue to be the dealer, so they have demo one, sell to me with $600 Canadian Dollars.

power amplifier Audio research ref 75 se is also a demo one with $10800 Canadian dollars.

pre is  audio research ls 25 mk I , I bought many years ago with about $2000 US dollars. Please noted, it use tube 6922, not 6H30. I have listen a lot of 6h30 pres and I just don’t like it. With 6922 I use very old tube,and the sound is just fantastic.

@runwell

Thanks. I am a big fan of Audio Research and have owned various components over the last 40 years (you can see my current system under my UserID). The ARC75 is an incredible amp. I am thinking at this point being legendary.

It is amazing what great electronics can do for a set of speakers. But, you must ask the question ocationally, “I wonder what my system would sound like if I upgraded my speakers?” … like to Focal Aria or Kanta.

I can imagine someone upgrading electronics after their initial purchase and having the value of electronics significantly exceed the speakers. 

At one point I have Sonus faber Sonetto Vs power by electronics worth 2.5 times the purchase price. And then I upgraded to Sonus faber Olympia Nova Vs. And don’t plan any speaker upgrade for a long time. 

@ghdprentice ​​​​​​ no need right now as I always listen in low voice.

​​​​

@runwell 

I also thought that the order was speakers first then everything down the line from there. I bought Wilson SabrinaX, and had a Luxman class A integrated and Luxman DAC. Then I started getting into cables, and a dedicated line and then separate amps and now my speakers are the least expensive component in my system and my system sounds 10x more quiet (in-terms of crap noise in system being eliminated)  than it did when my speakers were the most expensive component. Proper set up helped a ton, but so did the dedicated line, and really nice cables that I settled on after trying different makes, and now a crazy beautiful sounding amp a nice Pre amp. I will be going even further with the pre amp and DAC, but all in good time! Fun to discover what great food does for speakers!