Cartridge Loading for a phono pre amp

Hello,

I have recently acquired a phono pre amp recommended by Michael Fremer.  It is “THE VINYL”, from QHW audio, Spain.  It got a great review.  I have a Benz Micro Glider rated at 1.1MV.  I have no idea how to set the dip switches for MC Load impedance for this cartridge. The options I have are as follows: 47K, 1K, 560R, 470R, 100R, and 47R.  I have a solid state amp and pre-amp, and also have a sub that I use, rarely.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!

judsauce

@rauliruegas 

Please calm down, PLEASE!

This is a discussion forum, everyone is entitle to share their opinion and knowledge. If you disagree with somebody's responses, you're entitled to counter response! Why not be a gentleman and stop name calling? I believe all members of this thread are appreciated it.

@imhififan  : I think that all forum participants has a responsability and is not spread false information with no real evidence. That responsability comes by the fact that Agoners forums have different knowledge levels gentlemans and everyday comes rookies looking for advise looking for help so the higher knowledge level participants in the forums have all a higher responsability about that's exactly that: give help and good proved advises.

Don't you think? 

That " man " as other always " cry " with the forum moderators. They have no other " exit ".

In any forum and everytime I read that spreading lie I will post about. It's each one responsability and please don't tell me that call something " black "  that's " white " because this is a lie and I'm not a lier.

R.

Rauli,

Ad hominem attacks do not win arguments, in fact once you do that you've lost the argument no matter the merits of your point.

At this point in the discussion the only way to win the argument is with data that proves your point. Conjecture, opinion and assertion won't cut it any longer. Make a design of experiment that will produce a data set that will prove one side or the other; it shouldn't be too difficult to do within a well equipped audio lab. I think the results would be interesting and probably really surprising to all involved.

Post removed 

In illustration using a very low output cartridge vs a very high output cartridge connected to the Current Input vs Voltage Input on the P1 

My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent BC: 0.6Ω output 0.29mV 

Voltage Input: At 0.29 mV, the Wizard determined the optimal gain level at +70 dB of gain. This setting has audible hiss coming from the speakers at 30% volume without any record playing. On careful listening, the gain level was sufficient. Optimal loading was determined to be 180Ω by the Wizard. 

Current Input: At 0.6 Ω, the Wizard determined the optimal gain level to be I/V + 20 dB, but based on listening test I preferred a much lower setting of I/V + 5 dB. 

According to Ohm's Law where I = V/R, Current = 0.29 / 0.6 = 483 Micro Amps, a very sufficient level of gain based on the low impedance of the cartridge. 

• Are you using ohms law with voltage to compute the output current?
  • I thought that the motors were generally current generating devices?
  • So is the impedance of the phono stage a DC reading?
  • And does and external loading become more like a V=I*R(total)