After years of separates, I'm going integrated. Anyone else do the same?

I'm rethinking my listening room. I want my audio rack to be more minimalist vs lots of boxes, wires, and clutter. I know separates, in general, will sound better. However, at the level of my system, I'm not certain the difference would be as apparent. In the grand scheme of things of Audiophilia, my level of components are mid-fi at best (BHK Pre, First Watt J2, Elac PPA-2 phono, Pro-ject s2 Dac, ZU Omen Defs)

I'm favoring one of the Luxman Class A's (I know Luxman is getting out of the Class A business. The only way I would favor a built-in Dac is if it were upgradable like McIntosh or Accuphase. I'm guessing a Luxman or Mac built-in phono would sound just as good as to what I have now (Elac PPA-2).

So the question is, who else has gone to integrated? Do you regret the move or are you glad you did?

aberyclark

There are 3 Luxman integrated amps on the Audiogon market page.

590AXII $5,751.00

550AXII $4,508.00

550AXII $4,499.00

I went from PS Audio BHK Pre with Pass Labs XA60.5 (and Audio Research REF75SE in rotation...) to a Luxman L-590AXII. No regrets at all. In many regards actually sound even better than the separates did!!!!

Driving Wilson Watt Puppy 8's and yes, the 60W (into 4ohms) are MORE than enough to drive the Wilson's.

I’m also in the camp of downsizing with no regrets. Had separates of varying pedigree since 1995, and went to a Luxman 590AXII 4 years ago. 

Headphone amp, phono stage, tone controls, great, great sound… 

I didn’t audition any other integrated before purchasing the Luxman, so I’m not qualified recommend it over another, but it sure sounds sweet. I use Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S speakers, which are on the more efficient side of the spectrum. 

I like modern design and appreciate the lack of clutter.

I started my audio journey with a receiver with tape deck and a turn table and later a CD player.

I've had an NAD integrated and went to separates with McIntosh C2600 and MC 302 with a streamer and turntable (I still have the tape deck and while it's a conversation starter it really is a dust collector!

My current set-up is Moon 390 preamp/network player and two monoblock amplifiers. 

• Moon 390 is a preamp with DAC, Streamer and phono stage. I find it an upgrade over the Mc in every way
  • I chose two monoblock amplifiers because I listen to music fairly loud.  Moon also makes stereo amplifiers.

Because of my personal experience I encourage you to explore your options for reducing boxes versus assume an integrated amplifier is the answer.

A a preamp/DAC/Streamer/Phono stage combo with a separate amplifier is 2 boxes where as an integrated amplifier may require a separate DAC or streamer or phono stage.

Good luck on your journey!