Move from Parasound A23 to A21/A21+ or Something Else?

Hello, looking for some advice on an amplifier upgrade. Some years ago I was able to get an original Parasound A23 for a really great deal. I like the amp quite a bit and it was a wonderful upgrade from a class d amplifier I was using. I am mostly happy with the amp but I have noticed on loud or complex passages that the music can become strained sounding. It will shift from a nice layered and smooth sound to a more brittle and flat sound. It’s like the soundstage collapses to one dimension right between the speakers and music gains a hardness to it. It’s hard for me to explain exactly as I not that great at descriptors for audio.

Anyway, it doesn’t happen all the time only when listening to dynamic and busy music at higher volumes like 85+ db average at the listening position; about 3 meters from the speakers. The room is around 4500 cubic feet and semi open to other rooms. The speakers are Focal Kanta 2s. When I calculate the actual needs for wattage based upon distance and sensitivity, I "should" be fine with the A23. However, I wonder if a more powerful amp would help with the issue?

I like the signature of the Parasound so I am thinking of a used A21 or maybe even the A21+ if I could snag one at a good price. Is there anything else that should be on my radar? Looking to spend up to $3K max, less is better. Or, I could save up and maybe get a JC5 in 9-12 months if it was really worth it.

Open to thoughts and ideas.

mrteeves

If you like the JC5 then you should give a listen to the Anthem P2 amp, it stays cool to the touch and has all the power you will need. It never seems like it's straining and it is a very neutral sounding amp that does not get in it's own way by coloring the music but just let's the music sound as it should.

I owned the A23 for a long time (used with KEF LS50’s) and it did the job, but I was not crazy about the sound. I recently bought a mint used A21+ and was happy with the results.

I preferred the A21+ over the A23 by a huge amount. I used the A21+ with a hard to drive Thiel CS3.7 and also my RAAL SR1a headphones. I got the A21+ mostly for the headphones, since I had a CODA #8 sounding great on my Thiels.

Since the RAAL SR1a are so resolving I noticed that the amp was very powerful and took a bit of the bright bite off the SR1a, however, there was a bit of clarity that it lacked. The A21+ sounded similar to my old CODA CSiB integrated amp.

I decided to spend too much money and replaced the A21+ on my headphones with the KRELL Duo 175XD. Now this was a homerun with my headphones. About a month ago I switched the KRELLL to my Thiel and the CODA #8 to my headphones. The KRELL has now become my favorite amp on the Thiel’s. It is the 175 watts of Class A on the KRELL that is blowing my mind. Just an incredible amp.

Take a look at this amp. It is more powerful than the Duo 175XD I purchased.

Krell Duo 300 XD Stereo Amplifier Dealer Ad - US Audio Mart

I listen for a min of 8 hours (M-F) on the KRELL and CODA amps and while both are excellent. The KRELL is now my favorite in the office system.

Look at the just newly announced Schiit Tyr.  200 watts -> 8 ohms or 350 watts -> 4 ohms monoblock is $1600 and for stereo it will be $3200.

It is built like a TANK.

Look for a Canary ca160 and run it in triode try Ulta linear but you will likely prefer triode. At 100 watts triode and 140 ultra linear lots of tube power on tap. Or much more than you want to spend look for a Mark Levinson. 

Regards

I agree with those supporting the purchase of a used A21+.  

You stated that you like the Parasound signature and want more power. 

A used A21+ fits your budget.