Power Cable Break In - Such a Change!

I installed a new AudioQuest Dragon Source power cord from my Lumin X1 to my Niagara 7000. The power cord from the wall to the Niagara 7000 is also a Dragon but the High Current version. I bought that cord used.

So, when I first started using the new power cord everything sounded great. However, after a couple of days I started hearing a strident sound. Especially in the upper mid/ treble region. The bass was also constricted. I started blaming the sound change on another piece of equipment that was installed concurrently.

Now, I was under the impression that the Dragon power cord with its DBS system required no break in. But I did inquire about it to AudioQuest who responded that it would still need about 150 hours to break in. It's been close to that now and sure enough yesterday I started hearing the glorious sound that I heard from day one with the power cord only perhaps better.

I must say the difference during break in and now is quite remarkable, I don't remember any other power cord going through this amount of dramatic change.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

holmz,

I’m not sure I or anyone else can say anything that will change your mind. That’s ok enjoy what you have!

high-amp,

Oh no, not that JA!

ozzy

jakesnak,

Wow, your home sounds great! My wife has always wanted a log cabin home. So, I bought a barn...but that’s another story. 

ozzy

holmz,

I’m not sure I or anyone else can say anything that will change your mind. That’s ok enjoy what you have!

While I am skeptical, I would be very interested if it did work, and also the theory of how.

But I think that you are correct in that what people say will not likely move the skeptics.
It would likely take a measurement showing some difference… or some A/B deal where at least one person can identify whether it has the power cable or not, say 10 times of of 12.

@ozzy 
None the less, I’m happy it is working for you sir.

homlz,

Perhaps there is no current viable device that will measure our sonic preference? I mean all we have is Ohms law. If you're hearing and your system is transparent enough, most people will be able to detect the differences. Why such a denier? Try it.

I know what I hear and prefer.

ozzy