Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD Player

If anyone is still interested in the Ruby SACD Player Music Direct just got a shipment in and they are still priced at $2995. From what I was told they are brand new in box with full warranty. I ordered one and hope to receive it by Friday or Saturday. I just thought I'd give you guys a heads-up.   

rsfphil

I just got off the phone with Marantz USA and Music Direct. Marantz said it was 5 years for everything including the laser. That didn't sound right. It's usually 5 and 3. When I told them about the enclosed warranty info saying the warranty was 3 years I was told they would contact higher management and get back to me. When I called MD they told me it was 5 for everything and when I said it's usually 5 and 3 I was put on hold and when she came back she did say it was 5 and 3. Hopefully that is correct. The way the conversations went didn't instill a whole lot of confidence. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the info. According to the warranty sheet that came with mine it appears to be 3 years. Hopefully we never need to find out.

Marantz got back to me this morning. This was their reply.    

lo Robert,

Thank you for contacting Marantz Support, we value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

My name is Jim. I am the Tier 2 Technical Support Lead for Marantz. I understand that you have an SA-KI Ruby and you are trying to determine whether the warranty is for three or five years.

Technically it is both. Marantz reference level products, by default have a five year warranty. And the SA-KI Ruby is a reference level product. However, there is clause in the warranty that states that for Super Audio CD players;
"

• Optical Pick-ups and/or CD-Drive Mechanisms are only warranted for 3 years. After that time, Marantz will reimburse for the labor required to replace the part for the remaining duration of the 5 year warranty.  The customer will be responsible for the actual cost of the part.

• All other components are covered for both parts and labor for the 5 year period.

"

So for the unit itself and most parts and labor the warranty period is five years. For the optical pick-up and CD-drive mechanism specifically, the warranty is three years.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again. 

Thank you for contacting Marantz Customer Support.  Have a great day!

Warm Regards,

Jim
Tier II Technical Support Lead
Denon | Marantz | HEOS
Sound United North America

So it looks like the warranty is 5 and 3. I feel a whole lot better.

To be honest at this point I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping it would be at least as good as my SA11s3 if not a little better.The Ruby doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't seem to be as open and transparent as the SA11s3. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the Ruby. I read elsewhere that the Ruby needs a lot of time to break-in. Music Direct said to give it at least 100 hours. I have about 75 hours on it so far and I'm hoping with some more break-in it will open up a little. I'll report back after I get a couple hundred hours on the unit.