From Benz to?

I've been on a Benz ride for the last few years, having owned and enjoyed the Wood SL, then the Gullwing SLR and my current Benz LPS, which I love (and has been retipped a couple times).  I find the Benz sound to be superbly balanced, leaning just to the warm side, with no apparent loss of detail.  Prior to Benz I had a Lyra Delos and a Clearudio MC (among a couple other ones.. Shelter 501?).  I even experimented with vintage MMs (Stanton 981 and Grace Ruby F8) on my Tracer tonearm (which is fairly low mass at ~9-10g) but went straight back to the LPS, cause it sounded more satisfying.  For those who have moved on from Benz to another cart and enjoyed the switch, are there any suggestions in the same sonic style of Benz, just perhaps a bit more treble refinement?   FWIW I detest treble tipped up cartridges.   One thing I've noticed is that Benz have a large stereo separation (and measures as such, >35dB), which helps (IMO) lead to a large soundstage.  Benz just hit all the buttons for me, but I'm feeling a desire to change, just to try something different. I've never tried Dynavector. Are they worth a shot, or are they completely different vs the Benz sound signature? 

128x128gakerty

Maybe you consider miyajima Kansui sweet & natural .

Have Gullwing SLR then kansui and now Rua . Pair well with my 3D VPI arm .

My dealer often plays his personal Benz LPS on an AMG turntable in his main demo room. It's a great cartridge as you know however, his alternate cartridge is the Clearaudio Stradivari v2 MC cartridge. Given your description of the sound you are looking for I think the Stradivari might be what you are looking for. I used and loved the Benz Ruby for many years but eventually moved on to the AMG Teatro when I upgraded my TT to a Clearaudio Performance DC. I love the sound of my system with the AMG but the Stradivari is tempting me to upgrade. Good Luck!

Don't overlook...EMT and My Sonic Lab. If the latter, you would want to consider the gold body carts. There is some info as to the differences on the MO-FI site. I have the TSD 75, and the Hyper Eminent. Both lean to the warm full bodied side of the spectrum. 

+1

fjn04

1,487 posts

Don't overlook...EMT and My Sonic Lab. If the latter, you would want to consider the gold body carts. There is some info as to the differences on the MO-FI site. I have the TSD 75, and the Hyper Eminent. Both lean to the warm full bodied side of the spectrum.