Will DAC always sound better going straight into a Power Amplifier?

Hi All,

I experimented today with plugging my Khadas Tone Board DAC straight into a Power Amp, and then using a vintage restored Yamaha solid state preamp in the chain...and the sound seemed to be clearer without the preamp.

Is this always the case, where a DAC will sound better directly connected to a power amp?

I see some expensive DAC offerings, like the Musetec 005 and the Holo Audio May, and was wondering that if i want to save up for one of them...if i have to save up for a preamp as well.

If it will cloud the sound, then i'll leave the preamp out of the mix.  Let me know your thoughts all!

I've read that some people have had experiences where the DAC sounds better through a preamp, so I'm not sure if there is a universal answer here or not.

128x128fai_v

I have a Lampizator Pacific that I tried three months ago to go direct to my 300B mono amps.  I was shocked at how good it sounded.  As a result, I sold my $20k tube preamp.  I am 100% digital so that made my decision easy.  So, I guess I am in the minority but for me the DAC direct was better.  

@willgolf

+1, I’d like @atmasphere‘s view on this as there seems no role for a pre if the dac has a decent analogue stage and attenuator other than to add distortion.

My Modwright LS36.5 and Sonic Frontiers Line 2SE preamps sit collecting dust. I keep them to spin vinyl; other than that I prefer my DAC direct. Depends on the DAC.

@antigrunge2 @willgolf @antigrunge2 Echo on you guys being able to state why and when preamp is not needed and without it the system sounds better. It is all about the quality and voltage of the analog output stage of Dac / Preamp. Take my system as an example, in which I feed Schiit Modius into Parasound A23. Both have XLR connection. The XLR (4 volts) connection sounds better than RCA (2 volts) counterpart. Some reviewers reports the same story too. If you have active preamp which allows you to use tubes, discrete transistor or op-amps to boost unity gain and add "color/signature" to the sound, the system with it might sound better. On the other hand, the passive preamp could reduce the dynamic and pace if its impedance is mismatched as mentioned by @antigrunge2. More and more DACs have the preamp section and were improved on their output stage to that end. Leaving it out in this case will shorten the signal path, reduce the distortion and increase the clarity of the sound reproduction. You are definitely not in the minority group.