Class A or Class D solid-state amplifiers (modern designs)

Hey guys.

Class A is supposedly superior. Something to do with a conduction angle of 360 degrees...so the entire signal gets processed in one go without crossover distortion.

But in terms of sound quality (subjective enjoyment) is there a benefit to Class A? Can class D provide the same level of enjoyment?

The dealer I’m talking to says that really nice Class A amplifiers are designed for "reference quality" meaning completely true to the real life performance.

Let’s compare and contrast. Which one is technically better?

In other words, could you have equal technical performance and quality in a Class D amp?

- Jack.

jackhifiguy

This is a troll question and insult to any audiophile. How can you be an audiophile and not already know which design is superior? Everyone knows Class A is pure euphoria. Stop this noise about Class D. But in the end you make a choice and pay your money. Mine is on Class A and tube amps. That’s all the audio anyone needs. Period. Spare me of your newfangled crap D. 

It is not about Class A or D. It is about sound quality.

If you want to hear a very good Class D amp, check out the TAD M2500; 95 lbs and sounds truly amazing. I have it and the matching preamp and E1 speakers. My end game core system.

This is a troll question and insult to any audiophile. How can you be an audiophile and not already know which design is superior? Everyone knows Class A is pure euphoria. Stop this noise about Class D. But in the end you make a choice and pay your money. Mine is on Class A and tube amps. That’s all the audio anyone needs. Period. Spare me of your newfangled crap D. 

If ”The Audiophile” is running those big refrigerator boxes with <=2 ohm impedance, which requires lots of watts, then the euphoria of Class-A, or 5W SET amps, is just not going to happen… it will be going from euphoria to anorexia.

@coltrane1 You really have the "Hey kids, get off my lawn!" vibe nailed.

Atmasphere is now making Class D as are others with sterling reputations. So....they're all crazy or craven, eh?