Schiit Freya + Class A in Stereophile

I know there are a lot of audiophiles who don't think sterophile knows what they are talking about but I think its' pretty impressive that a 1000 preamp is put in the same category as 50K and up.  I can't really believe that the Freya + is that good.  I have one and do think it's pretty amazing for all that you get and you can really make it even better with some better tubes.  I am constantly blown away at the sound of the Freya + into the Decware Zen triode amp. 2K for the combo and just about the best sound I have ever had in my home.  Great news for less well heeled audiophiles.  

128x128ejlif

I think they should divide it into three categories. Budget, Mid-Priced and High End. You can then categorize the Freya+ as Class A Budget.

I had one of these that I took on trade.  They must score these things and divide by price to put it in a tier.  It is the only possible explanation. 

The Freya+ was a step down from the onboard preamp in the Chord Hugo2 (not TT2, the headphone amp).  I cannot see how it is a Class A component without the context of price.  Literally, my wife asked what was wrong with my system with the Schiit in it. 

When I went direct from the DAC it returned to a more normal sound.  Admittedly, she is used to much more expensive preamps from Ayre, PS Audio, AVM and Art Audio but I guess that is the literal point here.  

+1  @verdantaudio   Many of us know it's the only way to market budget gear. There is such fear(to some)in HEA about being overcharged due to DIY/snake oil proponents, dealer profits, law of diminishing returns ect.  Stereophile is capitalizing on this fear awarding questionable components class A status. Basically telling you your only paying for build quality/cosmetics and status if you purchase a true hi end product. This is what the mid-fi buyer believes thus verifying his purchase with "so-called" experts opinions.

Lots of posters on this board who are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of the sunk cost fallacy.

I am happy with Freya+ for what it can deliver after replacing JJ tubes with Tung sol.

it sounds clean, detailed without any hum or external noise, it is not the most engaging or warm comforting, smooth sounding preamp( AR ref6, CJ )but for my desktop system it is perfect.

i have Revel,BE126speakers connected via Chord Etude AMP,OPPO105 as CD player,,i also listen to Qobuz via Mc MB20( Blue tooth).

one has to wait few weeks for delivery of Freya+ preamp.

syed