Buying used vs new speakers from a technology perspective

Do you believe a speaker's components like drivers and crossovers can become "outdated" for lack of a better word? For instance say someone is selling a pair of speakers that cost $10k in 2008 for $5k now. Comparing that speaker to a modern day $5k new speaker only looking at driver design/drivers, cabinet construction, crossover components/layout and other materials what kind of technology gap are we looking at? 

Have there been technologies or designs that have come out in the past few years that you couldn't live without after hearing? 

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

Vandersteen updates it's speaker components as new tech becomes available.

Most of the time, it doesn't mean a series upgrade, but just an evolution in design.

So, I say 'yes' to the belief that tech has improved with time.

Bob

I would not say older stuff is “outdated”. There are many classic speakers 20, 30 years old that would make me happy. 

But also true that technology marches on. Coils, resistors, and, especially, capacitors are better than ever. Drivers are somewhat of a mixed bag. The coax driver in my Thiel CS2.4 is superb and holds up well against most of today’s drivers. But there are also breakthrough products like Vandersteen carbon driver that really set a new standard. Of course, those are $$$$$.

There has been continual improvement of speaker technology over time. If I think if the stuff of ever 2000, or 1990… in dynamic speakers… there is no comparison. Typically, I would say buying 10 years old at half the price is a screaming deal. But after that, beware.

I have owned a half dozen sets of speakers in the last 40 years. But I have auditioned dozens more. While some planar speakers of old are spectacular, they excel at a few attributes, not all. Planar, have strengths an weaknesses. After ten years regularly attending the symphony I switched back to dynamic and realized why they are the mainstay of the industry. They can do everything well. And the are moves forward year after year improving.

So after ten years, the improvements obsolete the older models.

To me there are two types of speakers, technical and musical. For those who are looking for the latest in technology upgrades, speaker material, capacitors, Crossovers, etc. There is always a need to find a speaker that has the latest technology. As for.music speakers, it is in the ear of the beholder; yes they are not go above 20 HZ or below 40 HZ, but because of their overall design they sound amazing. That is why Altec speakers, Harbeth, etc. are still bringing top dollar today. For money, a great musical speaker 5 years old at half the price it was is well worth the money. And with that don't forget the quality and craftsmanship that went into designing them.

Absolutely buy used. A ten year old TOTL speaker is better than a new middle of the roader.