Amir and Blind Testing

Let me start by saying I like watching Amir from ASR, so please let’s not get harsh or the thread will be deleted. Many times, Amir has noted that when we’re inserting a new component in our system, our brains go into (to paraphrase) “analytical mode” and we start hearing imaginary improvements. He has reiterated this many times, saying that when he switched to an expensive cable he heard improvements, but when he switched back to the cheap one, he also heard improvements because the brain switches from “music enjoyment mode” to “analytical mode.” Following this logic, which I agree with, wouldn’t blind testing, or any A/B testing be compromised because our brains are always in analytical mode and therefore feeding us inaccurate data? Seems to me you need to relax for a few hours at least and listen to a variety of music before your brain can accurately assess whether something is an actual improvement.  Perhaps A/B testing is a strawman argument, because the human brain is not a spectrum analyzer.  We are too affected by our biases to come up with any valid data.  Maybe. 

chayro

****  It (ears) contributes nothing to gaining knowledge about a product.  ****

Wow!  

What's the matter? Pill stuck in your throat? Correct, your subjective opinion using your ears and 'eyes' you conveniently forgot those ,  contributes nothing towards furthering knowledge about a product.  I am always amazed of the hilltop pontificating about use your ears yet nobody seems willing to do so. 

Mahgister,

Not trying to be sarcastic. Just trying to point out, with a nod to Oscar Wilde, that Amir is earnest and so are you. Maybe two earnest. Two sides of the same coin?

djones, I don’t understand why you find it necessary to personalize matters; and in a contentious way. Apparently, my opinion on the subject strikes a chord that causes defensiveness and the use of sarcasm in you. Why does it bother you so that my opinion differs from yours? Defensiveness is usually a sign that on some level a person knows that there is truth in the “objectionable” comment.

Now, please explain where in what I wrote did I say anything about using ONLY one’s ears? Let’s try it again, shall we?

+++. **** We use the tools at our disposal to assess and make decisions. Some do it better than others …… **** - mapman

…. and this includes the best tool of all, our ears. +++

Notice that I wrote “includes”. Inclusion is not exclusionary. However, I do believe that of ALL the tools available our ears are the best guide. Why shouldn’t they be? Ultimately, we LISTEN to the sounds that our gear reproduce, no?  And, yes, some do it better than others.

So, why don’t you take a chill pill and let others have their opinions; and, if you must, debate without sarcasm. Or, is all this a bit of cross-thread grudge?

**** I am always amazed of the hilltop pontificating about use your ears yet nobody seems willing to do so. ****

If you only knew.

Amir was polite and i dont doubt about his honesty and dedication at all....

I am less patient with his many disciples on the site ASR....

Very disagreable experience for me....I am very naive when it comes to discussing our experiments...I supposed that people can forget their opinion for the sake of a discussion... 😁😊 It is not often the case in life....Save among friends...I prefer audiogon with all his defects....Because of a better variety of opinions...

Anyway my own position is hard to figure out by people used to separate subjectivist and objectivist in children like warring camps like in Swift Gulliver big egg end kingdom  and small egg end one...

I am inspired by music field and acoustic and psycho acoustic where this division about a piece of gear which must be "tasted" OR must be "measured" make no sense at all...

In my experience and experiments ONLY correlation between measures and subjectivity which is the ultimate judge make sense....

My best to you....

Mahgister,

Not trying to be sarcastic. Just trying to point out, with a nod to Oscar Wilde, that Amir is earnest and so are you. Maybe two earnest. Two sides of the same coin?