Considering buying a used Gryphon Diablo 250

I have an opportunity to buy a mint Gryphon Diablo 250 at a very good price. I know it is not as good as the latest Diablo 300 but given than the price is almost a third of that of a used Diablo 300 should I be buying it?  Does the newer Diablo sound that much better?

greg_f

I have been following Gryphon for many years, I have never heard of any issues in almost all their products. Their design and manufacturing quality is second to none. I have no issue buying a used Gryphon product. I was just wondering how the original Diablo sounded in comparison to the newer one, that's all. 

@phantom_av The Aries Cerat is totally different to Gryphon.

Actually $1000 to ship 2 monos to Europe and back is quite cheap looking at todays rates. Jay must have had some discount. My Esoteric player had to go to Tap in CA for repair from VA. That alone cost $600 in shipping charges. The buy American argument is even stronger these days unless the import brand has a local service center that can handle repairs.

Revitalizing this old thread. I'd be interested in knowing what your friend sold his Diablo 250 for.  There's one for sale near me for $6k and I'm having trouble finding a solid sales history to know what these sell for on the used market. 

$6k sounds reasonable for a Diablo250 in good condition. The Diablo 300 will be north of $10K (without DAC or phono, more if it has either or both). The Diablo120 seems to go for about $7-8k.

I would seriously consider listening to the Diablo250, it's an excellent integrated and I doubt you'll find another $6k option that bests it.