An audiophile dilemma

A friend of mine just bought the JBL PRX635 stage speakers and they sound just great!
These are not the typical high end speakers that are in demand among audiophiles and they cost far less than their high end siblings.
Sometimes I wonder if all the money is well spent, because for far less $$ someone can become an owner of a pair of these JBL's and be happy for the rest of his life.
Are those high end (and very expensive) speakers really better than the JBL's?

Chris
dazzdax
Compared to the typical audiophile manufacturer JBL/Harmon have massive amounts of resources devoted to R&D. Because of this they are capable of producing very high quality, cost effective components. I would recommend highly their current production passive 3 way studio monitor (LSR6332) costing slightly over $3k. Honest performance at a reasonably price. Why wouldn't that appeal to audiophiles?
Unless you desperately seeking the approval of others, you should buy what you like. (Even if you admit your likes and dislikes are swayed by popular audiophile opinion, you should still know that you'll never get 100% consensus -- there will always be some audiophiles who think you're an idiot for choosing any particular piece of gear.)

The problem is there are endless variables to consider in speaker design. The characteristics that impress me may be meaningless to you.

That's not to say you shouldn't remain open to new ideas, but just don't accept them automatically because someone said so.

So, give the JBLs several good, long listens. If they still impress you as the best option in that price range for you, go for 'em.
There is no dilemma in an absolute sense; far more capable (and yes, far more expensive) speakers are abundant.

The dilemma may be fiscal, prompting a desire to believe that inexpensive or cross-application (these JBL's are for P.A. applications with plywood cabinet and Class D - I'm sure not too svelte - amps) speakers are every bit as good as elite products. :)
I always try to get good bang for the buck. I will listen to folks opinions, read a lot of reviews and hit the various boards; but I always trust my own ears in my listening environment. Hence, your comment has puzzled me as well.

I like fooling around with lowish-powered amps and high impedance, high efficiency speakers, which often provide excellent sonic results. For example, I recently purchased a used Almarro MK II for a little over $600. I paired this 5 watt integrated with Tekton Lore and Tekton 4.5 speakers with an older Sony DVP S9000ES and Eastern Electric DAC with Shuguang Black Treasure 12au7 tube. Sonic results are way, way above its cost. Cabling is good quality Silnote, Goetz, Cardas at various times. Speaker wire has been 8TC, PS Audio Statement, Goertz A1, and Jeff Day's White Lighting home brew. 16x14 listening room. Now, that's music, and all for less than than $3,000. Oh, must often tube swap as well. Best for me, Mullard EL84, NOS 7189, Ei EL84, Tubestore Preferred EL 84. For the 12ax7, have substituted GE 5751-WA blck plate, Sylvania 5751 3m black plate and Telefunken with great success.