Duelund conversion to DIY Helix Geometry Cabling

I have been an avid user of the Duelund cabling for over two years now and have used them exclusively in my system with great results. I have built many for friends and have used a full loom of interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and an extensive wiring modification for a previously owned balanced power conditioner utilizing Duelund 600V PolyCast wiring which was transformative. My cabling desires can be a little addictive as I have owned and evaluated 40+ brands of cabling costing more than an entire stereo system!

Over the past six months I stumbled upon a thread here on Audiogon in regards to a Helix designed cabling and as you probably already know, I just had to look a little deeper into this cable design…After a month of studying and sourcing parts, I decided to reach out to the designer/architect, Williewonka who gave more insights and philosophy on how the cable came into existence.

That conversation got the ball rolling in converting one of my KLE Duelund interconnects to Steve’s Helix designed which only entailed replacing the neutral with a Mil-Spec 16 AWG silver-plated copper wire with the neural wire being 3 times longer than the signal wire and of course the “Coiling” of the neutral wire : )

After the modification was complete, I was not sure what to expect from the Helix cabling but I was quite shocked with the results with “ZERO” burn-in time…The sound stage became much wider/deeper with a much tighter/focused image and clarity/transparency is like nothing I have ever heard in any cabling regardless of cost. In fact, I just sold a full loom of a commercially designed Helix Cable that’s renowned around the world and has more direct sale than any cable manufacturer; these $200 DIY Helix Cables walked all over them…

I believe you will hear the same results as I have and have heard back from friends who have already modified their Duelunds with the same results; WOW! Remember the cables will need 200+ hours to burn-in and settle into your system. My system is now 90% DIY Helix to include IC, SC, PC and Coax with each cabling adding its beauty of an organic and natural presentation that draws you into the fabric of the music.

You can tailor the sound of your cables using Duelund, Mundorf silver/1% gold, the outstanding Vh Audio OCC Solid Copper or Silver with Airlok Insulation or your favorite wiring and you can change it at any time…

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-diy-cables.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/difference-in-sound-between-copper-and-silver-digital-cables

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/adding-shielding-to-existing-cables

Enjoy,

Wig

128x128wig

@pindac -

a device that has a thought gone into to it, that will enable it to work as an improved interface with the Cable Design.

The short answer is...

Anything is possible!

However -

1. getting it accepted across the entire audio industry would be one challenge
  2. and then getting it accepted by the audiophile masses would be the final hurdle

The net result of both of these...

it will not happen in my lifetime !

But all is not lost - there are basically four generally accepted connectors within the industry (worldwide) at present

• XLR - extremely robust and multi-purpose
  • RCA - the most commonly used and multi-purpose
  • BNC - digital only
  • DIN - more specialty (e.g. turntable cables) but more widely used in europe

The connector having the highest mass of all of these is the RCA, but that is changing...

• there are now several brands that offer low mass RCA versions
    • ETI, KLE Innovations etc..
    • KLE Innovations now have low mass versions of
      • Banana plugs
      • RCA plugs and sockets
      • speaker/amp terminals

And similalry there are now companies that offer conncetors with pure copper pins in a variety of platings.

It’s just a matter of time - for these materials/designs to become more generally accepted by the component manufacturers.

Also - you have to realize that

• the percentage of audiophiles willing to go to "extremes" to achieve better sound is very small compared to the general audiophile populous
  • but the various components are designed to sell to everyone

Being aware of the many realizations you mentioned above, you are now in the 0.1% of audiophiles that see the benefits of the science.

But catering to that 0.1% does not sell product

• printed circuit board designs are "the norm" these days
    • because they bring down the cost of manufacturing
      • so it makes changing sockets extremely difficult
    • and manufacturers build products to a price point and select parts that work, but not necessarily "work well"
  • There are some tube amps that do still choose point-to-point wiring
    • which makes replacing sockets very easy
  • The most extreme route I have heard of is to hard wire all of your cables

So - the net of all of this is...

• YOU now have the knowledge to make the best possible selections
  • Everyone is constrained by poor design & build choices in most of the products out there unfortunately
  • However - WE have the knowledge and abilities to minimize the impact of those poor design & build choices.

There is some hope

• Some cable designs now coming onto the market, incorporate many advanced materials, low mass connectors and cable geometries, that result in exceptional results.
  • This will "rub off" onto the component maufacturers over time

So I am hopeful that advances in thie area will continue

Regards - Steve.

The MPT Pure Copper Male RCA Plugs and WBT - Nextgen - Chassis Mounted Female sockets are the connectors I will have on a shortlist for any future Single Ended Interfaces.

I already own Aeco Pure Silver Plugs, so I can do an A/B evaluation when the time arises.

When in discussions, the descriptions offered in favour of the MPT > WBT parts when used coupled together, are the ones claimed to be producing quite noticeable improvements, and enough to no longer use other highly regarded parts used for umbilical connections.

The investigation into the above pairing of connector parts, is an option for others who are interested in this design of Cable. 

As stated earlier, for some who do share the interest, the Chassis Mounted Socket might prove to be a little difficult to consider as a exchange part.

I am still working with the XLR options but at present, the Atlas Plug on the Cable is looking the most likely. 

The Chassis Mount options are very limited as well, when pure metals are the wanted materials.  

Hello.

I did a rough implementation of the Helix speaker wires to test out the geometry and liked the results. I am now looking to build a Helix power cord and single ended interconnects with the materials in the recipe, and before buying the materials I wanted to check if Helix power cords and interconnects a good choice for SETs?

@lewinskih01 - assuming you mean Single Ended Triode amps...

To my knowledge - Cables using the Helix design do not perform well under the following circumstances...

Helix Speaker cables

• when connceting to Amplifiers that are designed using a symetric balanced output architecture
    • where the speaker terminals have the same output signals, but they are 180 degrees out of phase

Helix Power cables

• when connecting to power sources that provide only a balanced output
    • i.e. where the "live" and the "neutral" have the same voltage, but they are 180 degrees out of phase
    • such as some power conditioners and power regenration units
    • the Power Grid in Norway is fully balanced

The electrical "spec’s" of the Helix cables are "middle of the road" for capacitance and inductance values, so they are suited to a wide variety of amplifiers and speakers

Other than in the two cases mentioned above, I do not see any reason why he cables would not perform extremely well,

• and since you have already protyped a Helix cable and achieved promising results, I see no reason for not proceeding.

The latest adaption usin solid UP-OCC silver wire for the interconnect signal wires should prove to be an excellent cable for your SET amp

Regards - Steve

Thank you Steve! Indeed I meant single ended triodes.

Great input, and food for thought. I do have a balanced power conditioner, so will build one PC and try connecting the SET straight into the wall. Now I know I should look for alternative architectures for the power cords feeding the other components.

Regards, Horacio