How to choose an upgraded tonearm.

In two recent threads on selecting an upgraded cartridge, some of you suggested a new tonearm was in order. Since I’ve never chosen a new tonearm, I’m asking you all for some advice on how to do so for that future event.

My current turntable is a VPI Classic 2 with a VPI JMW 10.5i unipivot tonearm. A new Lyra Kleos MC cartridge is on order. I’ll likely be changing to a gimbal style tonearm. The rest of the system is Magico A3 speakers, a Luxman 507uX MkII integrated amp, a Marants Ruby CD player, and a Shunyata Hydra Denali power conditioner.

What price range should an appropriate tonearm for the Lyra Kleos be in, that would also be in keeping with the price point of my Classic 2, The Classic 2 was in the $3-4,000 range, as is the Lyra Kleos. I’ll be purchasing new, not used, and will not be upgrading any other equipment than the tonearm.

Pardon some rookie questions, but what attributes should I be looking for in a quality tonearm? Who are some of the better known manufacturers, and which models of theirs might be workable? Are there other alternative to either a gimbal or unipvot tonearm? Are tonearms generally interchangeable between different manufacturers turntables? And what improvements in sound quality might be gained by upgrading my tonearm?

Since this is all new to me, any other advice you might have about things to consider would be greatly appreciated and will help kick off my research. Thanks,

Mike

skyscraper

Reed tonearms and the Triplanar are all surface mount designs, so it is possible you could mount one of those without having to drill any new holes, except small ones for screw fasteners. You’d have to analyze on a case by case basis.

Mijostyn, I’ll take a look at all the tonearms you mentioned. Will any of them fit the Classic 2 with my having to drill it out do you know?

What difference do you get with sound quailty using various tonearms to include the ones you mention and chose between? I can’t imagine you get the same improvements in sound quality that you might if you invested equal money into a better cartridge or speakers..

After reading an article on this subject, I started thinking the cartridge might have a much larger impact on sound quality than maybe any other component other than the speakers. And that made me think the Ortofon 2M Black was mismatched with the rest of my system. I could be totally wrong, but that thought led me to invest in the Lyra Kleos, a much higher priced and quality cartridge than I might have otherwise considered., Do you think that may be true or is that way off?

The video was interesting and informative, By the way, since my carpentry skills outshine my audio ones, notice the Stanley hammer the video’s host was using to pound on the turntable was definitely low end and not up to his demo. Any decent Estwing hammer would have made the needle fly out of the record’s tracks in a hot flash..

Thanks again for your help. Can’t wait for the Kleos to arrive in about three months or so.

Mike

You possibly could feel "set" for a good while until you feel comfortable making another considerable investment in a new table/arm. 

It will unquestionably be a big sonic upgrade on the stock arm.

The VPI long haulers have used Lyra's pre 3d/gimbal with no complaints.

You might want to shoot an email/call VPI about what the options are with doing an aftermarket arm for the Classic. Getting insight from them on what's involved will help you decide new arm  get a new rig.

Don't forget to fully exploit the capabilities of the Kleos, a "proper" outboard phono stage is something to consider.

I definitely wouldn’t bolt another brand arm to the VPI Classic table. It will affect resale value, too. You’ll be fine with either the dual pivot mod alone, or a new Gimbal 3D arm. A middle option might be a regular 3D+Reference arm plus dual pivot? I’m not entirely familiar with the VPI universe, but I know that I like the 3D+Reference w/ dual pivot in a friend’s rig (on a really nice HR-X there).

When you get to considering the Gimbal Fatboy 3D investment, you also need to consider whether to stick with the VPI or move to something else - that’s your chance to move to another brand arm. You have a lot of decent moves you can take, and you can take even make some of the incrementally. That’s probably why you’re suffering analysis paralysis! Try to step back a minute and have fun again :)