I need a subwoofer recomendation

I've got a couple KEF Q900's powered by a Yaquin tube amp and primarily play records. I'm looking for a sub that might also work for movies down the road if I ever put together a surround system. The sub needs to have speaker level inputs and I'm looking to spend $500-$700. My room is 20x20 with a vaulted ceiling and hard surfaces. I've been looking at the HSU VTF-2 Mk5 and the SVS SB-1000 and SB-1000 pro. Is there anything else I should be considering?

On a separate note, if I head down the surround system path, I was thinking of starting with the KEF Q250 or Q650 center speaker to start. Is there something other than KEF I should be looking at that would be a decent match with my Q900's?

jimfoto

I  use two  HSU ULS-15 MK2`s, they are a sealed design and work great for music. Hard to beat for the money.

I also use a sealed Revel Ultima Sub-15 to play along with them.

auditroy:

I just searched for your Velodyne ad in the 4-sale section and could not find it.

Did you sell it already?

DeKay

What are you basing these assertions on?  I’ve never read any review that says SVS subs sound like this.  Further, I own an SB2000 and would not at all categorize them as “larger-than-life type boomy” sound. 

These are my own listening opinions when hearing SVS subs.  I would not say they are bad sounding, but they do have a unique tone.  I think the Rythmik are more accurate.

I'd agree with HSU, Rhythmk, and SVS, as great sonic value for the money.

I run three SVS sealed for audio now, two SB2000s, one SB3000 and it is tight. I use an old REL Storm III (ported) that rocks a small 13 x 18 TV room and still have a suberb REL B1 (home theater now). REL is great but not for the $ spent when compared to the newer brands our there (pardon me HSU).