I need a subwoofer recomendation

I've got a couple KEF Q900's powered by a Yaquin tube amp and primarily play records. I'm looking for a sub that might also work for movies down the road if I ever put together a surround system. The sub needs to have speaker level inputs and I'm looking to spend $500-$700. My room is 20x20 with a vaulted ceiling and hard surfaces. I've been looking at the HSU VTF-2 Mk5 and the SVS SB-1000 and SB-1000 pro. Is there anything else I should be considering?

On a separate note, if I head down the surround system path, I was thinking of starting with the KEF Q250 or Q650 center speaker to start. Is there something other than KEF I should be looking at that would be a decent match with my Q900's?

jimfoto

What are you basing these assertions on?  I’ve never read any review that says SVS subs sound like this.  Further, I own an SB2000 and would not at all categorize them as “larger-than-life type boomy” sound. 

These are my own listening opinions when hearing SVS subs.  I would not say they are bad sounding, but they do have a unique tone.  I think the Rythmik are more accurate.

I'd agree with HSU, Rhythmk, and SVS, as great sonic value for the money.

I run three SVS sealed for audio now, two SB2000s, one SB3000 and it is tight. I use an old REL Storm III (ported) that rocks a small 13 x 18 TV room and still have a suberb REL B1 (home theater now). REL is great but not for the $ spent when compared to the newer brands our there (pardon me HSU).

["We have trade in velodyne dd12 list is 5k trade in 800

Offers compurixed tuning via dsp control boxand mic

A classic way better sound then a cheap sub 1 owner we can ship we used to sell these new outperforms a 5000 jl fathom f113we can shiphttps://www.soundandvision.com/content/velodyne-digital-drive-dd-12-subwoofer-specifications

https://soundapproach.com/velodyne-dd-12-digital-drive-series-subwoofer.html 

DAVE and Troy

Audio intellect nj"]

Velodyne's fourth subwoofer series, the Digital Drive Series was introduced in 2003 with a new patented driver and method of servo control. David Hall's ground breaking on board Auto and Manual Room Optimization and EQ calibration using an included calibrated microphone and Sweep Tone CD provides an audible and visual view of the in room response of the main speakers beginning at 200Hz and the affects of the subwoofers adjustments through the crossover region and on down to 15Hz to six different memory presets. I believe the initial price for the DD-12 was $2999. 

The Morgan Hill CA. company introduced the completely redesigned DD-Plus series in 2011. A new cabinet and massive servo-less driver design that provides even lower than the .5% THD of the previous DD series while eliminating the servo correction time. 

DD-Plus' Room Optimization was also refined and added the variable drag and drop Frequency Response and Parameters Screen which adjusts Parametric Filter Frequency level / slope as well as changes to Q (bandwidth) Parametric Filter.

Sounds complicated but the visually audible adjustments are simply made from the listening position to closely match the low frequency presentation of the main speakers to the subwoofers crossover region and saved to memory. 

Velodyne Acoustics has been sold to Audio Reference of Germany who currently provides a worldwide network of sales and service. 

https://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=69

David Hall's Velodyne Lidar develops sensor technology for autonomous applications.