2nd system thoughts on vintage receivers

I have a decent main system and am thinking about a bit of a "vintage" system for my bedroom. Mainly thinking about some items, I have had in the past. I have been leaning towards these models:

A Nakamichi Stasis receiver, likely the SR-3a or 4a, but open to others. The Magnum Dynalab receivers are great, but more that I care to spend on this system.

Small bookshelf speakers, perhaps Quad, but open to other thoughts,

A CD player and being a bedroom and lazy, perhaps a changer with a separate DAC

I would likely use older Wireworld Eclipse and Gold Eclipse speaker wires and interconnects that I have.

Being a 2nd/bedroom system not likely to use a turntable. For what it’s worth, I listen mostly to classic Jazz from the 50s through the early 80s and very much female singers of Jazz and Standards, Ella, Dinah Washington, Diana Krall and several others. In the evening while relaxing and preparing for sleep I do tune into a local college FM station that is mainly my type of music. (I love how young college age students respond to Jazz. I have two sons that have played brass, percussion and guitar and seem to be going down the Jazz/Female vocal route as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. A prejudice I have is for separate transistors and the like over chips/integrated circuits. I have and have owned great tube gear from ARC, CJ and the like...but not in the bedroom, unless I end up needing the heat. For what it’s worth, I am not interested in compressed or processed sources.

Thanks for any input/experience you can share.

jusam

For Looks go with Marantz, for sound go with a Rotel, NAD, Mcintosh or Luxman. Although Mc and Luxman look great also in my opinion. I agree with @fuzztone on a receiver though, get an integrated and add a cheap streamer. I would not go with the Nak for sound quality. Great tape decks, but not that good at CD players or receivers.

@jim5559 - So at what age are people old? My Dad at 88 complained about old people...

@jusam  - I like where you're going. My choice would be one of the Nak Stasis receivers. Some of the later/larger ones had remotes, which would be key for me, especially in a bedroom system. Not too many quality vintage receivers with remote. Otherwise, I might consider one of the Outlaw Audio receivers. Not vintage, but a quality 2-channel receiver. Lastly, there are a couple of new-ish 2 channel receivers that get decent reviews. I think one of them is the latest 2-channel receiver from Sony. It's very inexpensive. I haven't heard it, but I've seen it recommended many times on other sites. Would only buy it new, with return privileges. 

@fuzztone  - The OP stated his reason for wanting a receiver. He listens to the local college station at night. Sorry you don't have any decent radio stations. But there are still some decent independent/college stations around.

I think a fine second system can be built around a vintage receiver.  Keep in mind, though, that they are more likely to have problems due to parts aging.  If you're going this route for bang for the buck, you can just wing it and hope for the best.  The risk is that a power supply failure could go either way - it won't power up, or it could take out your speakers.

However, if you plan to maintain a vintage system, you should consider getting an estimate for a parts refresh.  Jon Soderberg at https://vintageamprepair.net might work on Nak receivers.  He worked at Threshold, so he's quite familiar with the Stasis design.  I'm sure others here can recommend other reputable technicians.

Considering you mentioned hooking them up to Quads, though, you might want to up-budget for separates.  Hopefully, tuners are a buyer's market, at least...  Another classic speaker that should work superbly in a bedroom system would be the LS3/5A design.

In my vintage system i use an accuphase p250 amp that is fed by a bliesound node 2i. The accuphase has had a total restore and has beautiful big meters and lots of power. Mc speakers are old restored McIntosh the ones that ate all wood and look like furniture. I also have the restored McIntosh eq The cables are old Audioquest volcano. Its a super clean and good looking with a warm sound

@reubent.

I do have some decent college radio stations where I reside. I am so sorry that you are wrong in assuming otherwise. They sound better here over internet, i. e. on streamers rather than over FM radio. I don’t have to play with antennas or analog vintage tuning, freq. drift, multiplex noise, blah blah. The receiver I have in my bedroom has a remote. You are right on about that.

Of course I bought it long before my first streamer.