Ridiculous resale price of vintage equiment

The price of used vintage is downright beyond ridiculous nowadays.

It seems like many hispters are buying crap based on the looks and many flippers are happily milking them.

As an audiophile and collector this really pisses me off... sure I could sell my collection for stratospheric numbers but then what would I do with my hobby?

When I see good looking stuff, like an ARC D70 MkII selling for as much as a crappy sounding, unrestored Marantz 2240.. well, I croak. Heck, I gave one of those away because they are not very good.

Today I was comparing my really recently rebuilt ( and I mean, really rebuilt, not just "recapped" ) Marantz 2325 and Sansui G-7500. The Marantz is dark but warm, the Sansui,which sounds a lot better than the Marantz, paints a nice musical landscape but has no real depth, etc... I gave them both the best chance, driving them from the pre-out of my CJ preamp so they are getting an outstanding source... and yet, well, they sound vintage.

Is the Marantz worth $2500? Is the Sansui worth $1500? From an audiophile point of view, nope. They look good, but my DIY Aleph 5 monos, my ARC D70 MkII, and a bunch of my other amps/preamps sound far better... and yet, they are not overpriced.

OK, except for the buffoon in eBay who was asking for $26K for his Pass Aleph 2 amps.

At least the poseurs have not found Quad yet.

What do you think? Are these prices interfering with your hobby?  

esporma

You take the Fisher. I sold mine. Account for inflation and don't worry about any chumps overpaying. BFD

In general, I suspect that the inflation genie has been let out of the bottle.  It manifests itself inconsistently.

Second hand items are generally not included in official inflation figures (that may depend on the country).

I paid my Sansui AU 7700 100 bucks and pay for its refurbishing a little bit than 100 bucks... Yes i was lucky...

So good the Sansui is though, and it is a marvellous machine sound wise and with flexibility, i would never had paid much more than the price i paid for 7 years ago...

Why ? Because when you pay between 1000 and 2000 bucks with no warrent for a piece of gear near 50 years old, i prefer to buy my dreamed Berning Zotl amplifier at 6,000 bucks...I see my Sansui now near 2000 bucks 1/3 of the ZOTL price... For the sound quality it is not a high price, but for an old piece of gear it is way too much....And the Sansui so good it is and it is, cannot beat some new tech....

And i love my Sansui... His S.Q. /price ratio is over the roof, unbeattable...At the price i paid...Under 300 bucks refurbished...