What is the best loudspeaker for a small room?

I have a very small audio room, 16 ft (L) X 14ft (W) X 8 ft (H). What are my options if I want a floor standing loudspeakers? Of course price is an issue but maybe I can equate the price later on based on the performance of the speaker. I enjoy listening to almost all types of music using pass labs pre xp20 and power xa100.5 amps.
jerrypan
That room isn't small. I use Quad 22L2s in a 11x12 room. I started with B&W 685s, but needed bigger sound. You should seriously consider floorstanders in that room.
I'm glad to know that my room is not that small. Smaller ones can manage to have bigger floorstanders. I forgot to mention that I'm using kef reference 203/2. After awhile, you're thinking of upgrading your set-up but in fairness the kef sounds great especially in vocals and acoustics. Somebody told me that a 207/2 will be too much . . . it may not give the sound of an audiophile. Any comment?
08-29-12: Highendav123
I aggree with the above. DOn't get speakers that are to big but get ones that fit the room....

Generally good advice; it's not easy to dial back a big-sounding speaker in a smaller room. Fortunately there are some floorstanding speakers that are making this easier. The GoldenEar Triton Towers I mentioned earlier have built-in active woofers. To fit it in a smaller room, just turn down the woofer control on the speakers themselves.

Another trend is seen in the PSB Synchrony towers and the Monitor Audio floorstanding speakers such as the Silver RX6 and RX8. These speakers come with foam plugs to change the bass output in the room. In the case of the Monitor Audios, they have both front- and rear-firing ports, so you really have four different bass loading profiles:

o Both ports open
o Front port plugged
o Rear port plugged
o Both ports plugged
Take a look at the Vivid Audio v1.5. Very easy to work into a room but very dynamic and musically engaging. I use them with Aesthetix gear and absolutely love them. I also think for how they perform they are very fairly priced.