Opinions? Re-thinking my Gallo reference 3.5's.

Here's my system so far:

Amplifiers - Spectron Musician iii MK2 mono blocks
with Bybee, V-Cap and Premium Fuse upgrades.

Preamp - Joule Electra LA-150 SE

Speakers - ?????????

Please keep in mind, recommended speakers will have to work with the above equipment.

I am supposed to pick up my 3.5's this Tuesday and having second thoughts for some reason. I've read the reviews, listened to them with various types of amps on several occasions, but never with my equipment.

Loved the spatial component to the 3.5's (as there is no "sweet spot" listening position in this room). Certainly thought enough about them to order them.

I believe what I have been concerned with is the "fullness" of the sound. It's difficult to express my 5% of uncertainty.

Of course, sound is subjective. That being said, are there any other speakers, new or used, within the $3,000 to $9,000 range that deserve a last look before the cash goes to the Gallo's?

Thanks in advance for giving me something to review this weekend!
bhpedalpusher
SPectron amps are used by Anthony Gallo when he demos his speakers. I think you have a perfect system for those speakers...

-RW-
Your new Gallos will sound okay out of the box and then go into an extended break-in period during which they will sound pretty awful, so don't decide whether you like them or not until they have AT LEAST 100 hours on them. The owner's manual will confirm the 100 hour break-in, I understand.
One option (barely) in your price range to think about:

Evolution A-V, a Gallo dealer in Agoura Hills, Ca (roughly 15 mi NW of Los Angeles) has a pair of mint (might be their demo) Gallo Ref 5s and they're asking $9K (50% off list price) . That's at the very high end of your stated range, but it's an unusual deal if you want the last word in Gallo's sound (and looks).

Marty