Wilson Watt Puppy 7…Would it work for me?

Hello all!

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy 7’s in very good condition.  While I will be able to audition them as part of the pick-up process, I won’t be able to trial them in my system.  The front-end of my system is all vintage Audio Research:  (2) D240MKII solid-state amps running in bridged mode, 480 watts/channel paired with LS7 and PH3 tubed pre-amps.  Current speakers are Thiel 3.5 CS with their Electronic Bass Module.  I listen to an eclectic mix of mostly classic rock, classic alternative, jazz standards, blues and pop from the 60’s 70’s and 80’s.  Sources are Tidal streaming, CD rips from a BlueSound Vault, SACD and vinyl.  Cabling is MIT Terminator series all the way around.

While I have no real issues with the way my system sounds, I’m really driven by the good old “up grade bug” and the fact that my Thiels are really old at this point and there are no new OEM spares for them.

So, I guess what I’m asking is will the Wilson Watt Puppy 7’s be a good match with my ARC components?  Any fears of the Wilson’s being too revealing or demanding in terms of recording quality?

Thanks for any insights…Hope you’re all doing well!

Arvin

128x128arvincastro

I heard the Watt/Puppy 7’s and to my ears they sounded a little too much upper midrange. Could have been the equipment it was connected up to though. So, does your system lean in that direction now?

I then listened to a Watt/Puppy 8 at a dealer and I thought it to be a little better, but I thought there was a bit discontinuity between the bass and the rest of the audio spectrum.

ozzy

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I definitely do not want a system that becomes too analytical or bright.  My system is pretty well-balanced now for my tastes; blending solid-state amplification with tubes in the pre-section has certainly helped, esp considering that ARC gear tends to be more neutral than warm for tube-gear. 

My current listening space is on the smaller side of things and is pretty limited in terms of what I can do with treatments, but I will be moving later this year to a house with a dedicated listening room that will allow for proper set-up.  I was also looking at the Watt Puppys with an eye on being able to better handle that larger, dedicated listening room.

A lot more to think about…Thanks for all the replies!

Arvin

I would say go for it. Your components and cabling should be just fine; though you could upgrade later.  I have MIT cabling with mt W/Ps and the match is absolutely perfecto.

The Watt/Puppy is a great speaker and will knock you out with their resolution and soundstage, and bring you many years of enjoyment.

Nobody can answer this question. By them and listen to them for a while and if you don’t like them you’re gonna have to sell them. Just make sure that you buy them at the right price so you’re not gonna lose

The diffraction pads on Wilson's deteriorate over time. You should plan on replacing them. There is a video on how to do it and a new thread about replacing the pads.