Question about Class A

So I read all the time how awesome Class A Amps/Integrated's (SS and Tube) are.

I currently have a Vincent SV-500 Hybrid and feel it sounds really good.

But I have this itch now to hear what Class A would sound like and would it be a big difference to my current Vincent.

I wanted to ask what are some good Class A Integrated's that I could look into?

I know Pass Labs always comes up and for good reason but those might be a bit out of my budget.

I would say I can probably go to $3K new or used.

Sugden is another brand that I have researched a lot and the A21 retails for around $2500 and there is a dealer in Socal that carries it, so that one is tempting.

Vincent has the SV-237 MK II but I think that is only Class A for the 1st 10 watts into 8-ohms and I have 4-ohm speakers so I am not sure if that would give me any Class A magic. I am sure it would sound similar to my SV-500 but have more base extension.

Could you all recommend any other one's? I have been researching but haven't come across any (SS or Tube).

Thanks

128x128jay73

So I went to the local dealer today that I mentioned earlier to hear the Sugden.

He only had the A21S available to hear.

It sounded good but of course how it will sound in my system would be different.

He had it hooked up to a HiFi Rose and Klipsch Heresy's (I believe).

If he had the A21SE in stock, I might have actually bought it today. 

But he states it's $3700 and he can order it.

I can understand with the current way things are, that prices can go up but I can't do $3700. I would have gone for it at the $3250 prices that I have seen.

I figure since I am willing to spend the money and if I want Sugden, then I want to get the A21SE and not settle for the A21S (which in no way is a bad unit) but I don't want to feel that I settled later.

So the journey continues.

What speakers do you have and whats their efficiency? If Magnepans, I can tell you Aegir isn't a good match, nice sound but 85db efficient speakers make it sound stressed and clip protection will cut in at loud passages. ASR didn't find that running them as monoblocks gave that much more headroom.

really important to know your speakers impedance curve/efficiency and to look for trustworthy reviews that used your speakers with different amps. An amp thats  ho-hum with one speaker can work well with a different speaker.

Post removed 

@jay73 

try the Coda 11 mentioned.   100 wpc class A to output.  Should you decide to swap speakers,  the Coda will allow for future updates.   I have zero affiliation with Coda the company,  or the preowned being sold. 

respectfully, 

jose