Technics 1200G VS VPI Prime Signature

Has anyone specifically compared these two turntables? Longevity plays a role here, but ultimately SQ is paramount. Aesthetically the Prime Signature (rosewood) is a beautiful looking table. Thinking about either table with Van Den Hul Grail, and VDH DDTII special. I have heard nothing but good things about Technics 1200G.  I have heard of some QC issues with VPI. The simplicity of the Technics unit is also a plus. Any input about this will be appreciated...
jakesnak

Since I moved my Zyx cartridge from my Rega P5 to the Technics 1200G, I am very happy.

I don't know why  I wasn't able to to get good performance from the combination P5/Zyx (I tried everything: spacers, tungsten CT, thin or thick mat, etc...).

With the Technics, that's really good, with great respect of the whole frequency bandwidth.

Now, the poor records sound poorer than poor and the good ones (good mastering / press) are amazing.

Interesting thread, I too would strongly lean to the Technics given the choice.  I have owned two VPIs--a Scoutmaster (which I hated) and the original Classic (much less hate).  I really didn't like the tonearm on either and recently got out of the VPI business and bought a Pure Fidelity Harmony--which is just leaps and bounds better than the VPIs to my ear. 

The dealer I bought it from is also a VPI dealer and so I had him switch tables during the demo.  After two songs on the Prime or Prime Signature, all I could think of was "sounds like a VPI".  To me, they are all about "audiophile sounds" and less about connecting you with music.  You want tone and a nice big soundstage, buy a VPI.  You want an engaging listen, try something else. To me it's an "admire it" vs "be moved by it" type of thing.

As always, it comes down to a personal preference--I know there are tons of folks who LOVE their VPIs.  Just figure out what camp you are in.  I do think the Technics is a good enough base to support much higher aspirations.  A couple of guys in my local audio group have added the added an Integrity Tru-Glider tonearm to the Technics and seem thrilled by the combo.  

I had a VIP and hated it too, cheaply built, the designer does not “believe” in anti-skating, can you imagine an engineer not believing in science? The tonearm fatboy has a lot to be desired.

the motor is too light to keep from moving when changing the speed. So many things that are just not right.

I ended upgrading everything and never sounded good.

I am

glad I sold it even if it was at a significant loss.

Can’t speak to the Technics but it’s very well reviewed so you can’t go wrong. I’ve owned a VPI Scout 2 for about 5 years with the 9” unipivot arm and it’s been flawless. Once it’s on the album it tracks beautifully. 

@displayname The 1210GAE's(black version of the 1200GAE) sold in Japan came with a Nagaoka JT-1210 cartridge that was developed (so the advertisements said) with Technics for this TT. Then Nagaoka released the same cartridge with the JT-80BK model name in black (better looking). I purchased the Jt-80bk for my 1200 GR and I have to say it's the best MM cartridge I have ever heard. I plan on doing a video on my Youtube channel soon about my thoughts a couple months into owning the JT080BK. You can check out the basic sound charactor here on this video