Tannoy Stirlings on the way!

Hi, everybody.  Longtime member, first time caller.

I just ordered up a pair of Tannoy Stirling GR floorstanders, and, frankly, I'm looking for people to rejoice with!

I'm a speakers guy, through and through.  I've got Dynaudios, Focals, B&Ws, Totems, Wharfedales, Klipsches, and even my old Polk 5Bs, the first speakers I ever bought, way back in the '80s.  I wanted to try something very different, and the Prestige line Tannoys really spoke to me.  The coincident drivers, the old-school-ish paper cone, the old-school cabinets and ports.  I'm really looking forward to hearing how they soundstage!

I thought about getting the Turnberrys, but the Stirlings should be just about the perfect size for my [extremely irregular] room.  Especially since I already have a pair of subs.

I'm pretty chuffed.
trentmemphis

@astolfor

Agree, the Kensington and Canterbury models are both wonderful, yet I’m very happy with my upgrade to Canterbury :) And yeah, the Definition 10A was a real head-scratcher, sadly.

@jond

Sorry - I just remembered there was some discussion (audiokarma?) out there concerning Tannoy’s change over from alnico to ceramic/ferrite magnets, and I believe there actually were some Tannoy driver versions which married ferrite magnets to a pepperpot, which contradicts my prior response. I’ll try to look up what model that might have been (it was after the HPD). Looking again at the pepperpot cross section, it would probably be OK to use a short ferrite magnet with a long pole piece to make up for that...going the other way though - the tulip waveguide might not have enough room to work with the weaker & larger alnico magnets needed? Either way, the ferrite + pepperpot configuration is not made today. I'd also love to know whether that's due more to market demands (people in the market for classic Tannoy sound more often demand alnico) or due to Tannoy's opinion on the sound quality. 

@astolfor The Canterburys are too large for my space, and too heavy to be practical for a man with a bad back.  I'm not even actually considering upgrading to the Kensingtons right now.  I was only having a bit of fun about them.  I just dropped significant cash on upgrading other parts of my system.

@mulveling Thanks for that but I was more thinking about it in the reverse the Alnico with the tulip waveguide as I've read at least it's superior to the pepperpot. I had a speaker once with an Alnico midrange driver, the Alon Lotus Elite and it sounded fantastic.

@trentmemphis , please don't tilt the speakers back for elevating the soundstage. The timing and phase goes for a toss. Buy a pair of Sound Anchor speakers platform. They make studio grade stands which goes very well with Tannoys.

I am a Tannoy Turnberry SE owner for the last 11 years :-). There is nothing I haven't tried around them. Every component in my system has changed 3-4 times in the last 11 years. But Tannoy stays 😀