Why exotic stylus not used on MM?

Is the reason why micro line or similar exotic stylus are not used in MM' s because the tonal balance will shift to higher frequencies?

meteu

@lewm  If you're looking for an mmc1 contact SoundSmith. I know they rebuild them and may even make new ones.

MMC cartridges are awfully old by now. Their suspensions are known for getting stiff over time.

Are you having them rebuilt?

Soundsmith's SMMC1 has a line contact diamond on a solid ruby rod cantilever. Is that too pedestrian or is the Sapphire tube that much better?

There are not any Exotic Styli on offer at present, especially as outlined in the list above.

These are no longer mysteriously unique or unusual, most who concern themselves with them will be able to recite the unique dimension for each type, whether it is an artificial grown raw material, as well as where to acquire one or all listed.

One Styli that is possibly closer to the used Terminology 'Exotic' is the Swiss Produced 'Black Diamond'. The part has certainly being assessed for being a suitable replacement part for the above listed Styli.

It is early days yet for this part, so it will be interesting to see how differing dimensions and refinements are produced for the part .   

OP’s definition of exotic is indefensible. By any rational definition, Replikant, Gyger, SAS, and Microline, Micro Ridge and Shibata all quality as exotic.  Not exotic…all variations of conical and elliptical. Plenty of exotic styli have been made for MM and MI generators. From yesteryear there was Stereohedron by Pickering.  The ADC ZLM used an exotic profile. I run a Shure V15 Type V with an SAS stylus by Jico on my Well Tempered TT/TA.  With carefully adjusted VTA it traces everything. 

Can't add anything to Raul's post. I have two of these cartridges now. The Soundsmith Voice and the Clearaudio Charisma which uses the stylus/cantilever assembly of the $16K Goldfinger.