About users with hidden agendas

If you know that a user is a dealer and they fail to disclose and attacks other users because they make a point against their interest, do you expose the user?

I know of a gentleman here that continuously posts and goes after people and does not disclose who he is. 

What are the ethics of this forum?

128x128astolfor

Oh, we’re well aware, Elmer. We just don’t want to be a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard. 

I find that being a Forum Member on a few Forums and being able to participate in social events arranged by forums, there are periodically opportunities made available to put a 'Face to a Name' as most introduction are carried out with the Forum Users Monica.

I have learnt that through face to face meetings, that the person in the flesh is quite different to the person behind the keyboard. A Social Encounter is quite different to a Forum Encounter and a individual with strong convictions when using written word, is quite encompassing when in a face to face dialogue and willing to consider the variances of views on certain subjects.

I have also met with the lesser demographic of the forum members, those who come across after getting a hold on the communications offered as a promoter of a goods or a service and most likely see members as a quarry and providers of opportunities to be extracted extract from.

It is quite an amusement to be exposed to how these types, who are quite exertive with their intentions when observed or met with face to face. It is shame that if there has been a previous encounter with such an individual, and there is a impression left as to why there was an encounter, especially if the contact was interpreted to be a bait laying exercise. The individual under suspicion will soon be held in contempt and will not achieve any success with their intended plans. 

It also seems to be a common thread woven in the fabric, that such individuals are the ones that create the most discomforting information, that is generally interpreted as 'not to be relied on'.

New Forum Members with little experience of a overall demographic within a forum are the types prey the self serving types will go for, a behind the scenes email is a good way to disguise their intentions from the forum as a whole.

I know, I still have indelible memories of such approaches through email, where advisories on offer steer toward a certain product or service on offer.  

It is not so important to name and shame, the disingenuous, with other non sincere intentions are quite capable of gaining a very silent disapproval, that is able to spread through a community like a wild fire. 

@mapman Why should anyone assume a shill does not receive compensation?

This is the only sensible assumption on any site that features a discussion about the merits or otherwise of products or services.

I prefer the word presumption on a site that also has contributors in the trade. It is true unless specified otherwise.

Anything less is naive. I mean, look - "just buy it and try it, you can always return it". is pretty obvious, innit?

That disclosure requirements are not specifically addressed in the guidelines is probably quite deliberate, because that may promote dishonesty ("rules are made to be broken" cliche) or people would find loopholes (and a reason I didn’t mention this aspect in my earlier post near the start - there is no obligation to disclose, ethics is not about the word "should"- that is a moral judgement, something that is quite fluid.)